Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

My dad is a father that my friends always wanted. Even if they had a great father, they all wanted my dad as a dad.

Little kids at stores lose attention from what they are doing when my dad is around and they start to walk towards him. It's like they can see how good he is.

My dad loves to make bad jokes. One of his favorites is:
Rene Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Do you want a beer?" He replies, "I think not," and disappears.

Last Monday, he was mocking David Caruso on CSI: Miami. He said, "I'm too dramatic for my socks. I'm too dramatic for my [pause to figure something out] underwear. [Pause] That didn't work so well."

My dad listens too good music. His favorite timeframe, if I had to guess, would be the late 70's rock era. Not long he surprised me when he bought Pat Benetar's greatest hits. He likes rock. Janis, the Doors, Ozzy. That style.

He always has projects for himself. He grows grapes, gooseberries, and elderberries in his backyard so he can make wine. He teaches himself computer programs.

He likes good movies. He is a Humphrey Bogart fan and this is why I've seen The African Queen as many times as I have. He introduced me to Dr. Strangelove (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb). He doesn't care what critics think.

He makes good food. He doesn't try to make creative looking meals or experiment with flavors. He knows what he likes and makes it. The food is always simple and delicious.

My dad supports me and pushes me in the right directions. As I grew up, he set clear expectations and allowed me to make my own decisions. He guided me and gave me good directions to follow. He set a great example.

He likes to golf. A lot. And he likes to watch golf. (This is the time of year I don't get over to his house as early on Sundays...)

My dad enjoys wearing fun shirts. He liked the flamingo shirt I bought for him in Vegas.

He likes to smile and he does it often. He doesn't mind being silly.

And today I will take him out to dinner (he chose a sports bar nearby to our places) and I'll enjoy his company and it will be a great day. I love him very much and am very grateful to have such a wonderful father.

Dad SillyDadDad

previous posts about my father: Daddy's Little Girl Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!