Saturday, July 31, 2004

It's official. I hate my computer.

I haven't been writing as much as I used to. It's not because I don't have the time, I think I lost the patience with my computer. After about 10 tries, I actually got the Internet to pull up tonight. This is driving me insane! Oh wait, I'm already there.

I mentioned in a blog not too long ago that I moved recently. I think I'm getting way too used to having my own place. I still enjoy the company of my former roommate, but there's something about your own place that is just terrific! It's the first time in my life that I've lived by myself (besides the dorm). I can have room for my scrapbooking stuff, I can cook any hour of the night, and I can watch whatever movie I feel like watching at any time. Not that my roommate had a problem with any of this stuff, but you know how it is. You want to respect their space too and leaving junk around isn't courteous, banging pots and pans around at 2 AM while they're sleeping is not nice, and it's hard to watch the same movie over and over without feeling goofy.

You know what I love the most about my new place? It has nothing to do with being out on my own. It has nothing to do with the fact my drive to work is about 6 minutes long and a tank of gas lasts three weeks. It's not the fact the water pressure in the shower is better than I've ever experienced in my life. It has to do with my alarm clock.

My alarm clock (thank you Mom for the great Christmas gift) is one of those with a CD and I can pick which track to wake up to. Lately I've been awaken every morning by Rob Thomas singing to me. Ah, Rob... Sorry, I digress. The thing is, I'm not a pleasant person when I wake up and I don't function completely for at least 15 minutes. Usually about an hour. (Which is weird when I get to work and have only been awake for about 40 minutes. Caffeine is such a good thing.) Since I don't get up right away, I hit the snooze button quite regularly. At my old apartment, I had set up my room so the alarm clock was on the other side of the room. I used to get out of bed, walk 5 paces, push the snooze button, and then crash back into bed every morning. I would do this for over an hour. Now, the alarm clock is within arm's reach and it gives me an extra 30 seconds of sleep for each cycle! Yea!

What happens when you push the snooze on one of these types of alarm clocks, the CD stops playing but it keeps spinning. This means electricity is still going full force through the piece of machinery, which is not a big deal, but with this alarm clock, it picks up radio waves in the area and plays the sounds. Even if a certain station is not set, the radio will still play the sounds if the signal is strong enough. My former place was close enough to an AM station and so each day when I pushed the snooze button, Rush Limbaugh would talk to me. I became convinced that he was trying to kill me with his Republican propaganda. It is such a relief that I no longer hear voices talking softly to me while I'm half asleep. I'm pretty sure this is how brainwashing takes place.



One of My Obsessions

I'll admit it. I have a problem. I've been much better lately, but I still feel the pull. I'm addicted to office supplies. I just opened a drawer next to the computer from heck and realized the entire drawer was full of pens. Have you seen those commercials for the click Sharpie pens? I was speechless and I wanted to run right out to any office supply store to buy them. I have absolutely no need for them, but I WANT THEM. It's a disease.

In this drawer, I have every style of gel pen I've ever seen. The sick part about this drawer is the fact that I can't fit all of the pens I have in it. And you know what? I don't really like writing with pens. I like pencils. This is ultimately sick. What is even sicker is my desire to organize this drawer and test out each of the pens. I probably will freak out and do this soon. I'll keep records of it and you'll understand my obsession.

Dana said to me once that I can't do anything without going for the gusto. Take scrapbooking. I started for one Christmas present project and now my entire dining room is a scrapping room. I started rubber stamping (Thanks Kim!) and I bought about a gazillion stamps. I try to find ones that coordinate with scrapbooking.

I became obsessed with Clint Eastwood movies recently. Now I have two copies of "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", as well as 14 other Clint Eastwood movies. I collect miniature liquor bottles. I have about 300 of them. I have no space for them, yet I still collect them. And then there's the penguins. I collect penguins. I have a penguin tattoo and my apartment looks like a rookery half the time. I need to get better at controlling the obsessive part of my personality. It's going to hurt me one of these days.

Okay, I'm signing off now. To stare at the pile of pens. More to come!

1 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, CarpeDM said...

Let's face it...how else do you think Republicans get people to vote for Bush? I seriously think this is how it happens.

There was a Bloom County cartoon that I loved in which cockroaches (that looked vaguely like Jiminy Cricket so not at all gross) would talk to you at night while you were sleeping - it was the explanation for a lot of things, such as babies crying at 3 AM (cockroaches telling them Big Bird was dead) and why men did the whole comb over thing (cockroaches would tell them that women would find them sexy).

I mean, really, when you think about it, doesn't it make perfect sense? Cockroaches and Rush Limbaugh are responsible for what's wrong with our country today with their subtle brainwashing.

On an unrelated note, do you ever want to throw Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern into a room and have them duke it out for most annoying radio personality in the world? And then, when the winner has finished bludgeoning the other with a chair, fill the room with poisonous gas? Or is that just me?

Don't worry about staring at the pens, Beth. Worry about when they start talking to you.