Monday, April 02, 2007

Fun with Photoshop

When DM and I went to Wisconsin to visit with Diana, we stopped at a bookstore and I picked up a book about Photoshop Elements. Once in awhile, I read about a new technique and then try it out with some of the pictures from Portugal. I keep thinking that I need to go on vacation again to a new place. The newer camera and things I've learned just makes me wonder what I could come up with for pictures. But that's beside the point.

I just wanted to share a few of the newer pictures I've put together.

sitting in a cafe in Europe
Sitting in a Cafe in Europe.
This picture was originally taken with no purpose in mind. The original picture has received quite a few comments from those viewing it and most remark how it is typical of a European outdoor cafe. In the editing, I made a few layers for the image. In one, I defined the lines. Another layer was adjusted for colors - brightening the image quite a bit. I do enjoy the framing of this shot with the tree.

angel in Evora
Angel in Evora.
I just liked the way the colors of the marble were brought out when I edited this picture. The original is mostly neutral in color.

Along the Street
Along the Street.
This was taken as DM and I left the Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon. It's not much for a subject, but I am quite proud of the editing I did. First, I blurred the background right behind the statue and sharpened the statue itself so it popped out more. I also converged the vertical lines by distoring the picture (using the perspective option). In creating another layer, I was able to enhance the color of the wall, making it a deeper shade of red and more vibrant. The clone function allowed me to remove a chip in the wall. I erased the entire frame of the statue in this layer and then flattened the image. I cropped it too. I like it more than the original:

Praca de Espanha
Praca de Espanha.