Friday, November 10, 2006

Interviewing Tips #3

If there is something nice to be said about interviewing for entry level positions, it is that the process can be quite entertaining. Sometimes I think I've seen and heard it all. Then I find another new surprise. Bad interviews, while a waste of time, are a bit like a present. There are moments where you are able to say, "Oh! I didn't expect that."

With that said, tonight's newest interview tip is about the thought process. It should be internal. The candidate tonight was doing much of her thinking outloud.

For example, when asked a question about sales experience, she looks away, drifting, and said, "Should I use an example from Company A or Company B? I've already told her about Company A a lot so maybe I should go with Company B. I'll go with Company B." Then she looks up and at me. "When I was at Company B..."

There were some other odd moments and strange responses, but the "loud thinking" is probably what was the most detrimental.

As an added bonus, here is a resume tip: Don't use bubble font. Unless you are applying for some sort of creative design job, funky fonts are not appealing. And if you are applying for a creative design job, generic bubble fonts are not going to cut it. Please pick a font that is easy to read and doesn't make the recruiter/hiring manager recoil in horror.