Friday, May 30, 2008

24 hours down, a lifetime left

It's official. I am a home owner. The closing went like a breeze (I think I only signed about 30 times, I was expecting WAY more). I met the daughter and son-in-law of the woman I bought the house from. I'll tell that story soon. It's cute.

I work tonight and tomorrow (Saturday). Moving day is Sunday. I'd say my apartment is 90 - 95% packed (there are boxes everywhere!) I woke up at 11 am this morning (unusual) and finished my 2,000 word paper. I didn't expect that, but it really reduces my stress. For school, I still have to answer a discussion question by Saturday and type up a 75 word portion of the team paper. Once I sit down to do it (tonight after work), it should take no more than 30 minutes. I need to participate (respond to three discussion threads) on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Hmmm. Sunday will be interesting. But, if I post after midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning, that would work. That should only take 20 minutes or so.

The realtor (Spencer) kept thinking I should be more nervous than I was. He kept asking to see my hand to see if it was shaking. It wasn't. I guess I wasn't nervous for the closing because I knew my finances and I know that this is the right house for me. It was a fast process from approval to finding a house to closing, but when it is right, it is right.

The things I have left to pack are all things that don't fit in the traditional box or are something I would label "Misc." I'll be throwing most of these things into boxes or bags tonight after work. Should only take a couple of hours.

That's where I am at in life. I can't wait until Sunday when I start putting things in the new house. I have all of next week off of work so that I can settle in and get all those little things done (like Homesteading the property, buying a lawn mower, getting a washing machine, unpacking, arranging, and making the place mine.) I need to find out where the post office is to turn on mail service for the address and then make many calls to change my address. I'll put a forwarding address out with the post office too.

I think I'm going to have my car serviced next week too. It makes a funny noise sometimes that bothers me. Hope it's not too expensive. I'm due for an oil change as well, so that will probably help the car and improve gas mileage.

With gas prices as they are, I'm happy that I am living 1.8 miles from work and .4 miles from Dad. Mom is about 4 miles away. It's also nice that the car gets over 30 miles to the gallon, even on city streets. It's more on the highway.

The next week is going to be exciting!