Saturday, June 05, 2004

Oh, I like Paul Simon, who's that guy I don't like?

I love Dana. Not in that way. I do love her as one of my best friends in the entire world. She's great. She's said so herself (as in, "I'm great, I just don't remember it"). A night out with Dana is worth more than a year of comedy clubs, a decade of warm fuzzies, and a lifetime of penguins. (Did I mention, I'm kind of random?)

Before I go too much further, I need to explain the title of this post. This is one of the reasons I love Dana.

I like music right? I think most people in the world would say they do. I know that everyone has different tastes and that's perfectly fine. Sometimes though, Dana scares me. I had gone CD shopping one late Tuesday night (just to check out the late-night record shop) and yea! I found Paul Simon's greatest hits. I, of course, am overjoyed. My friends, Dana included, have enjoyed listening to other Paul Simon albums many a nights of playing Sheepshead.

The next day, I go to work as usual. Sharing my excitement, I show Dana my new CD. She scoffs and gives me this look like she's thinking, "Oh my God, why did she buy that crap?" I stare at her in this puzzled fashion and feel a little hurt that she never mentioned not liking Paul Simon's music before. I decide to let it go.

After work, Dana and I were to go hang out with Matt. As we're getting to my car (Dana does not drive), I let her know her choices of music for the evening. I have Eminem or Paul Simon. I know that she hates Eminem and this she confirms by stating (imagine a heavy sigh first), "I'll put up with Paul Simon." So we get Matt and are driving (for the life of me I cannot remember where). The music is playing and Dana says, "Well, I like this Paul Simon song." (I think it was Graceland.) 'O.K.' I think to myself. The next song comes on and she repeats herself. After about 7 songs, Dana turns to me and says, "Oh, I like Paul Simon! Who's that guy I don't like?"

Here's the funny part. When she asks me "Who's that guy I don't like?" I respond, "Bob Dylan." This was correct. Matt is now in the backseat of my car, scratching his head and looking for Rod Sterling. (For those wondering how I figured out the guy she doesn't like, you have to know Dana and follow associations. Paul Simon and Bob Dylan were both folk singers from the same era. Their last names could be boy's first names. There is a connection.)

On a regular basis, Dana asks me why we are friends. She's adventurous and impulsive, I'm logical and follow the rules. She works days, I live at night. At first glance, you would say the only things we have in common are: we're female, we both breathe air. But then, life is not made up of appearances. (If it were, many people with mullets would be in prison.) Dana and I met through our jobs at a bank (to remain nameless - this is not a place to slam a corporation). We both worked together on the helpdesk and at one time had similar schedules. We still work together (only 3 hours a week) in positions that include the helpdesk and functions similar to assistant managers. Does that make us friends? No, it doesn't. I work with many people (some for even more than 3 hours a week) and I wouldn't call them my friends. I would call most of them co-workers. So that doesn't answer the question.

Dana and I are both avid scrapbookers (so is Keem, but she'll get her own post). We can watch movies, cut paper, laugh at pictures, drool over new cropping toys, and spend entire evenings working on creative projects to store our photos. Does this make us friends? It's an interest we both have and we have a good time doing it, but no. I don't think this is what makes us friends. I know other people who I definitely would not call friends who love to scrapbook. I can walk into any scrapbooking store and see other people with the same interests I have and not call them my friends. So, that doesn't answer the question.

When it comes to music, Dana and I are pretty close to being on the same page. (Or should I say Page?) We do both like Barenaked Ladies and Matchbox Twenty. There are other bands we both enjoy, but then we both have some differences in our music choices. So because we can laugh and sing to the same songs, does that make us friends? I think not. I've been to a few concerts and I wouldn't call the entire crowd my friends. It just doesn't happen.

Are we friends because we both love watching movies? No. Lots of people watch movies and even if the movies we like are the same, it doesn't make people friends.

I think this entire random string boils down to my definition of friendship. Friendship is one of the most challenging and exciting things about life. Many people out there will tell you family is the most important thing, but I don't believe it. I do believe family is important, I love my family dearly, but I think friendship is better. I never hear anyone saying that they want to spend the rest of their life with their family. They want to make their own family. How do you make a family? You surround yourself with friends. I think you can make members of your family into your friends. What is special is when your friends have become a member of your family. Friends can be those family members you want around.

Friends can make you laugh. They can make you cry. They can be a shoulder when times are tough, or they can be a sun shining in the happy times. What is most important in friendship is knowing they are there for you, just as you are there for them. Dana is one of those people who I know, deep down in my heart, will always be a friend. I will always want to hang out with her and laugh all night. I will always want to get into deep discussions about politics, religion, or even minor things such as music or books with her. If there is a problem in her life, I will want to help her deal with it. She deserves the world and I want to help her in her journey to get it.

Dana and I are friends because I know she will always be true to herself and those around her. She doesn't hide who she is. She is willing to try new things, have fun, and chalk up the bad to learning experiences. Dana has a kind soul, she loves life, and she spreads joy. In knowing her, I call her my friend. Friendship is a combination of so many factors, and when they come together, it is the best thing. With Dana, friendship comes together. She makes those around her smile. She can be eccentric, she can have her silly days, but when all is said and done, she is true and one of the greatest people in the world. I'm lucky to know her and (dare I say it) blessed to call her my friend.

1 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, CarpeDM said...

Damn it! You made me cry. I was going along, just fine, laughing at the whole Paul Simon thing and then boom - tears! Thank you for all of the wonderful things you said about me. Gosh, I'm great. Oh, c'mon, you so knew that was coming.

Love you much! Ciao!