Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Joys of Management

The first all-manager meeting was held today since I've become a supervisor. It started at 10:30 in the morning and we talked business until 4:15. Then it was time to go to a local bar for a bit of happy hour.

As much as meetings take up too much time, this was actually a good meeting. Maybe I'm just green around the gills or maybe I really do find some management topics interesting, but I found myself engaged during the meeting and wanting to talk about the different topics.

Happy hour at the local bar was enjoyable. It is interesting to see some of the people I work with outside of the bricks and mortar we are so confined. There was laughter and silliness and just plain fun.

Although I found the meeting productive and fun, I still feel like I lost a day of work. After happy hour, I went back to work to send one email. I was there for an hour and a half. I should have skipped sending the email!

My team has a meeting tomorrow. It is two hours long. The bankers will be happy, they get off the phones and get to enjoy a team atmosphere. I'm planning on stopping at the grocery store on the way to work to pick up some vanilla ice cream and rootbeer (and Coke) for floats during the meeting.

DM and I are planning on karaoke tomorrow night. Maybe I can talk Steve into joining us this time.