Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Proof

When it comes to entertainment news or gossip, I am behind the times. I know that there is some big trial going on because Michael Jackson has been accused of molesting a teenage boy (or is it more than one? I don't know). I know nothing about what movies are coming out or who is sleeping with whom and this sometimes spills out in every day conversation.

A few months back, a woman at work (she no longer works at our place) told me that she went to high school with Laci (or is it Lacey) Peterson. My response? "Oh, that's nice. Who's she?"

This caused the woman to look at me and say, "Wow, you're not kidding when you say you don't watch t.v." She explained to me that this woman was killed and her husband was the main suspect (and I guess he did it, according to other bits of news I have absorbed).

Well, the reason I'm writing about this is because someone at work walked up to me and said, "Johnnie Cochran just died."

I stood there, overly confused. For starters, I had no idea who he was. The name was vaguely familiar. For some odd reason, I thought she was talking about Tom Cochrane, the one hit wonder who had the song, "Life is a Highway". What I was really trying to figure out was why she seemed so concerned and how that news had become an important fact in the media. I'm sure Tom Cochrane has a lot of family and friends who care if he's alive or dead, yet I didn't see this being the top news story of the day.

Later in the evening, another banker brought up the death of Johnnie Cochran. Then he said, "If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit." It took me a full minute to realize that the dead man was not the one who sang the 'brilliant' lyrics, "Life is a highway, I want to ride it all night long, if you're going my way, I want to drive it all night long," but the man who defended O.J. Simpson in that huge fiasco a few years back.

I really should keep up on the news more.