Wednesday, January 04, 2006

iPod Shuffle

What does one's playlist say about a person?

Well, I'm not ambitious enough to answer that question, but I am listening to my iPod. I wonder which songs will play tonight and I search for hidden meanings. The meanings can change, but the way I interpret them tonight may give a glance into my psyche.

Song #1: Circles, Soul Coughing

Normally, I would skip anything Soul Coughing. I do admit the band is/was talented and I like the music, but it tends to remind me of Adam. Associations are as much of the listening process as the song itself. What hits me tonight is the repeated line, "I don't need to walk around in circles." I am ready to start walking forward.

Song #2: Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Queen

I sing this song at karaoke. It has been a staple for years now, but sometimes it feels almost poignant. "I gotta be cool, relax, get hip, get on my tracks. Take a back seat, hitch-hike, take a long ride on my motorbike." Tonight I feel as if the song is telling me that "Yes, love is crazy. Love is chaotic. But it is time to stop fighting it."

Song #3: Bring it On, Seal

iPod is telling me to go for it. What else can I say?

Song #4: Addicted to Love, Robert Palmer

Oh my. Why iPod? Why?

Song #5: Open Your Heart, Madonna

I am not making this up. "If you gave me half a chance you'd see, my desire burning inside of me."

Song #6: Lovers in a Dangerous Time, Barenaked Ladies

I love this song. I have always loved this song. "Next you're dazzled by the beauty of it all ... When you're lovers in a dangerous time, sometimes you're made to feel as if your love's a crime, Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight, you gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight."

Song #7: More Than a Feeling, Boston

Do I have this song? Apparantly. Interesting.

Song #8: But I Do Love You, LeAnn Rimes

"I don't like to be alone in the night, I don't like to hear I'm wrong when I'm right ... But I do love you." I used to sing this at karaoke. It is a sweet song about the simplicity that can be found in something as chaotic as love. I think love may be where chaos feels right.

Song #9: When Will I Be Loved?, Linda Ronstadt

Hopefully soon.

Song #10: Head Over Feet, Alanis Morissette

"You've already won me over, in spite of me." As much as Alanis was overplayed during my high school years, I have adored this song. I haven't listened to it in years, but find it almost perfect to describe how I can resist for so long, but can't get away from feeling for someone. I remember how I felt hearing this song, years ago, when a young man made me feel more than friendship. "I've never felt this healthy before ... I am aware now."

Song #11: I'm A Believer, Smash Mouth

"Love was out to get me." I feel like that is the case sometimes.

Song #12: The Blower's Daughter, Damien Rice

"I can't take my eyes off of you ... I can't take my mind off of you." Talk about a song all about trying to get over love.

Song #13: True Companion, Marc Cohn

"Baby, I've been searching like everyone else ... When it comes to love, I'm just another fool."

Song #14: Lucky, Melissa Etheridge

"I wanna see how lucky, lucky can be." This song is all about taking the plunge. I don't know why, but this song (the whole album actually) tends to give me hope that love, the one, is out there for me. This feeling is getting strong as of late. I'm scared by it. I feel like signs of love are all around and I can't avoid them any longer.

Song #15: Son of a Preacher Man, Dusty Springfield

Another karaoke staple. This used to be my warm-up song. A friend of mine, from my pool hall days, said at a party as she cranked this song, "This is Beth's song!" She always meant it would take that one special man to force me from my shell and that he'd have to be sweet and innocent with a devious side to get me to open up.

Song #16: Opposites Attract, Paula Abdul

Ha! Ha ha ha ha. "When we get together, it just all works out."

Song #17: She Drives Me Crazy, Tom Jones (cover of Fine Young Cannibals)

I sing this song at karaoke. I change the shes to hes and everyone teases me about the song. I picked it because I like the Tom Jones version. Others think I'm singing it about someone. I deny this. Am I lying? I'm not telling. "He drives me crazy and I can't help myself."

Song #18: It's Not Unusual, Tom Jones

iPod seems to be on a Tom Jones kick. This song always makes me think that I'm being told to let go, have fun, it's not wrong to have feelings and desires and to be desired.

Song #19: Night Drive, Jimmy Eat World

I swear this is a song about making out in a car. I need a bit of making out. You know what I miss about having any type of romantic relationship? I miss feeling like a woman. I'm not saying I feel like a guy, but there is something so nice about being desired. It feels good to have a guy (whom I actually feel attraction for) show affection and a wanting for me. It feels good.

Song #20: Breathless, The Corrs

I was surprised to find this song playing. I guess I have a Grammy Nominees CD with the song on it. "Let me long for your kiss ... Your love is like a dream, even though I'm not asleep." I want that. There, I admitted it.

Song #21: Somebody to Love, Queen

"Can anybody find me somebody to love?" Funny. There are so many people in my life right now who seem to think that it is their mission to find me someone. I feel like I'm being pressured/pushed.

Song #22: Morning Song, Jewel

"Tell your boss you're sick, hurry, get back in I'm getting cold." This song is all about alone time with a lover. It creates a longing in my heart for this simple emotion. I want to wake up and spend a full day just being in love. Someday.

Song #23: Hide Your Love, Jonny Lang

"I wanna be down where you hide your love for me." I've never really listened to the lyrics of this song before.

Song #24: For You to Notice, Dashboard Confessional

I think this song is about a man who wants more but is waiting for the woman to notice what a decent man he is. "But for now, I'll look so longingly, waiting, for you to want me, for you to need me, for you to notice me." It makes me wonder if I would notice the one. I think I would but I am not good at showing that I notice.

Song #25: Who Can it Be Now, Men at Work

Funny. The lyrics mean little to me. I'm just laughing at the title. It is almost as if it poses a question. Hmmm.

Song #26: Everything You Do, Cowboy Mouth

"There's a shiver in my thighs whenever you're around me ... If I gave you all my heart you'd send it back in pieces ... Yes, I hate the way I love you and love the way you hate me." I'm sorry, but this is just a sexy song. I love it.

Song #27: Let My Love Open the Door, Pete Townshend

Well, I do want to open doors of opportunities. Oh God, I can't believe I just wrong something so corny. So, recently I was telling someone that over-the-top romantic gestures are annoying. That person, who seems to know me a bit too well, responds, "Do you only say that because you've never had it?" I think my romantic side is hidden very deep, protected by a lot of doors. And, just for the record, snowflakes in eyelashes and facial hair is utterly adorable.

Song #28: Uh-Oh, Cowboy Mouth

"Uh-oh, fallin' in love again ... and it feels like the very first time."

Song #29: Are You Gonna Be My Girl?, Jet

I love this song. I so wish it was in the karaoke book and some absolutely adorable guy who could sing would sing it. It could cause problems, but, yeah. I should stop writing now.

Song #30: I Want You to Want Me, Save Ferris

The title says it all.

Song #31: Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now, Starting Line (cover)

"Let them say we're crazy ..." Man, I'm lovesick. It is a dangerous thing.

Song #32: Let's Give Them Something to Talk About, Bonnie Raitt

"People are talking, talkin' 'bout people." Well, karaoke people are talking. I laugh at this song, but not because I don't like it. I laugh because it is one I've sung at karaoke and also one I used for a certain scrapbook of a certain party that was worth talking about. "Thinking about you every day, dreaming about you every night."

Song #33: On My Own, Les Miserables

I thought I had posted the lyrics to this song a long time ago. I guess not. It is a song all about a girl who desires a man, loves a man, whom she cannot have. She lives in a fantasy world, "pretending he's beside [her]". It is by far my favorite song from the musical. "And I know, it's only in my mind. That I'm talking to myself, and not to him. And although, I know that he is blind, still I swear, there's a way for us." I think any woman who has been alone for so long could appreciate this song. Well, that may be making a pretty big statement, but it is a damn good song.

Song #34: What Would Happen, Meredith Brooks

Another song I used to sing at karaoke. It is quite sexy, in a way. "I've never been defenseless, I can't even make sense of this, you speak and I don't hear a word, What would happen if we kissed? Would your tongue slip past my lips?" It is a bit of fun to sing.

Song #35: Be That Way, Cowboy Mouth

"I never felt your kiss upon my jaw ... Why can't you be that way with me, talk that way to me, walk that way, smile that way, be that way with me?" Not much meaning tonight, but I do like the song. I love all of Cowboy Mouth's music.

Song #36: Lonely No More, Rob Thomas

As much as I dislike the back beat of this song (too poppy), I do like the lyrics. "I don't wanna be lonely no more." I don't.

Song #37: I Want to Be in Love, Melissa Etheridge

"In front of total strangers, will you kiss me? Flowers for no reason but you miss me ... I want to be in love." This is a fantastic song. "I have watched as all my dreams went walking out the door, I think I deserve just a little more."

Song #38: Smitten, Bree Sharp

The lyrics to this song were ones I started paying attention to about a year ago. "Sickened by the season, I am smitten with you." It just like it and love the word "smitten." It is cute.

I think 38 songs is enough for the night. I do have to say that I love my iPod, even if it does get evil. I am also done with all this sappy talk for one night.