Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Are you my type?

I had a good day today. Ignoring all the crap I had to endure, I still had a good day. When I got to work, I realized that I had signed up to donate blood. This put me in a good mood. No, I don't enjoy needles in my arm, but they don't really bother me either. I find giving blood an uplifting experience. It's important to me to help where I can and giving blood is an easy thing to do. Heck, they give you cookies and a free soda when you're done!

There are some amusing things that happen though when you give blood. Here is my experience and what I wanted to say is in italics.

Nurse: Alright, I'm going to put the needle in your arm right now. Please look away.
Beth (That's me!): Why do I need to look away? I find it easier to deal with horror when I look at it in the face. Why do you think that Hitchcock movies are more frightening than Friday the 13th movies? It's because your imagination makes up a better monster. Okay.
N: That's done.
B: I'm glad. Thankfully you don't seem to have punctured extra veins and I'm not spilling my guts on the floor. Okay.
N: I'll be back in a couple of minutes.
Delay
N: Let's check how you're doing. Oh, good job!
B: Thanks. Wow! I can bleed. Hallelujah! I was so afraid that when a needle went straight into my veins that water would come out instead of blood. I feel so blessed!
N: Oh, I connected the tape to the chair. I guess you can't get up.
B: Um, I have a needle in my arm connected to a bag that's connected to the chair. I don't think it's the tape keeping me here. Do people really think they can get up when they're giving blood?
N: You'd be surprised. This kid jumped up once at a high school when his friend passed out. He ran out.
B: With the bag of blood attached?
N: Yes.
B: So, if you're taking the blood you just donated, is that stealing? That seems odd.
N: Yes. Look, you're almost done. Good job!
B: Okay, I know this has got to be a rough job. There's people who freak out at the sight of blood (like the woman they just took to the hospital apparently) but is 'Good job!' really appropriate? I mean, couldn't you say something like, 'You're almost done. That was easy.' Easy I could understand. Explain to people that this is not a horrific experience. Thanks.
N: What color bandages do you want?
B: I don't care.
N: How about purple?
B: Okay. I really have no opinion what-so-ever.
N: You're done. When you're ready, get up and get some food.
B (arising immediately): Okay. Thanks!

I have given blood many times before. I took a break after I got my tattoo (because you can't donate for at least a year). I have never, ever had a problem. That's just me though.

I don't know if you've given blood recently, but they ask some interesting questions. The one I have always been curious about is the one that can be changed for gender. I always get, "Have you had sex with a man who could have sex with another man since 1977?" I always tell truth (which is no) but I think next time I should ask, "I know you ask this question because you're worried about AIDS, but you ask a question specifically about AIDS. Does saying yes to this question disqualify you from giving blood?" I don't think this is correct. Maybe you just need to explain, but here's the thing. What would be wrong with blood from a gay man? They accept lesbian blood. There's no questions like, "Have you had sex with another woman since 1977?" It seems like the question is directed incorrectly. And what is up with 1977? Maybe my understanding of AIDS is incorrect, and don't hate me for being blunt, but how long has the longest person with AIDS or HIV survived? Is it 27 years? I just need to ask more questions the next time I go.

Giving blood makes you aware of all the things that could have gone wrong with your life in the past. In the past 6 years, they've added questions about spending more than 3 months in parts of Europe (Mad Cow's Disease), visiting Africa (I'm sure this is an AIDS question too), West Nile Virus, and SARS. It used to be, "Do you feel good today? Have you taken aspirin in the last 24 hours?" I'm glad they have the protections in place. It just seems like a lot being thrown at you when you sit down.

At the end of the experience, you get to get stickers. I'm still wearing the "Be nice to me. I gave blood today." My favorite sticker I saw today was the one that matches the title of this post. "Are you my type?" It's surrounded with the different blood types (O+, AB-, A+, B-, etc.). It's really cute.

That was my adventure today. I learned that I have a skill because I can bleed!

3 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, CarpeDM said...

Dude. Congratulations on your new job as bleeder. I'm very impressed.

I commend you and all of your fellow bleeders. I am not a bleeder because of really, really small veins that roll whenever someone tries to put a needle in them. That and I'd be the person who passed out.

Ciao. See you later. You bleeder, you.So, are you hooked on blood?

At 12:18 AM, angelia said...

Hey, everybody has to have a skill!

At 2:38 PM, The Lioness said...

Africa is about AIDS, they're dying by the millions down there. I CANNOT give blood due to small psoriasis matter, EVER! Shit. It annoys the hell out of me bcs I would if i could and there's never enough in the blood banks (too many neutrophils, white blood cells connected with inflamation, not a good thing to pass on to someone IN NEED of a transfusion). I don't know how it is in the US but here not many people give blood. I might be allowed to register for bone marrow donation bcs they filter out the cells they need - so byebye neutrophils. But it's a longshot and i'm still pissed off. Bah.