Saturday, August 28, 2004

Ode to another week

Ah, the feeling of being home. I wrote a little about my week and it wasn't bad, but I'm glad to finally come to the weekend. Knowing I don't have to be back to work for another 62 hours is nice.

Our team is having fun and doing well, we're still trying to find the groove we had last quarter. Eke! I feel as if the bar was raised and we forgot how to jump over it.

The Olympics were cool for a week. I want my Conan back! I think Conan O'Brien is back on starting Monday. Let's sing hymnals now! I'm excited at least.

Thursday was a crazy day. Besides having to be at work an hour and a half early, I had three meetings. I lead two of them. The first involved the upper management staff appreciating the assistant managers (surprise, surprise - okay, Dana and I knew what was going on because we've been there long enough and we're observant). Still, it was cool. The teams put together posters for their leads. My team made a card. One of my bankers even drew a picture of Clint Eastwood for me. This is because of my Dark Tower obsession and watching a ton of old westerns lately.

After that meeting, I lead a team meeting. I had to come up with something cool to keep people involved for an hour. I found some training packet on this new regulation "Check Clearing for the 21st Century Act". You might hear of it being called Check 21. Just in case anyone relies on the time from when you write the check to when it clears, forget this practice RIGHT NOW! And don't blame your bank. This is a regulation being passed by the Federal Government to allow expedited funds clearing and help in detecting fraud quickly. It's the 21st century now (surprising from the name of the Act huh?) and technology has made it so your checks don't need to travel the Pony Express to clear. Have the money before you spend the funds. Okay, off that soapbox now.

I stayed late at work 3 nights this week. One was completely unplanned but when you're the closer, you get to wait for the last banker to get off their call. So I was late meeting Matt for cards. He's sweet. He bought me a movie! That made me feel special.

I just started thinking about the movie Matt got me. He bought me Kill Bill Volume 2. Maybe my mind is going to far. Thinking of me, he picked up a movie about a woman who goes on a rampage and starts killing all of her enemies. I don't think he's comparing. Hee hee.

I cried this week. One of the bankers from my team had to move out of state and quit suddenly. I didn't get to say good-bye at work. She signed the card my team made for the recognition event and then her final calls came in from being monitored for quality assurance. She did fantastic. This made me cry because she is so awesome and no longer at work with me. Imagine me with a big lower lip sticking out and tears in my eyes. That's what I feel like.

I got addicted to Zelda again. I've accomplished nothing at home. Oops. Also, this is the reason for lower blog activity lately. I am also enjoying the next blog feature. Blogs with weird cursors and music bother me, I've written this before. I found a couple of good ones tonight. One made me cry a little. This woman has been trying to have a baby but just miscarried. It's unfortunate. Here's her blog. I admire her for sharing her story. The other one that intrigued me tonight was this one. I think I just liked the title of her blog. And the information is a different perspective on life. I liked it.

Looking forward to karaoke tomorrow night. Time with Dana and Matt! I should call Karen and get her to join us. I miss hanging out with Karen. She's way cool.

My back hurts. My belt's too tight. I'm shaking my booty from left to right. Sorry Dana. I still think of that cheer Lisa used to drive you insane with at work. But my back does hurt. Don't know why I'm sharing that here. I'm just on a random chain of thought.

Went shopping online last night and today. I placed an order for scrapbooking stuff last night. Lots of fun stuff! I can't order the really cool stuff until next month, but there are some great new products coming in the mail now. The other thing I bought arrived in my email inbox tonight. I'm excited for a concert in September where I'll be laughing and screaming and singing along with Matt, Scott, and Dana to a wonderfully powerful singer, Melissa Etheridge. I went to one of her concerts when I was in high school and it was amazing. It was also the best seats I've ever had for a concert (besides a street show).

On the subject of Melissa Etheridge. She is an amazing performer. Her voice is so powerful and true. The fact that I enjoy her music does not make me gay. I wish people could just understand that accepting others for our differences is essential for life and humanity. I can understand if someone doesn't appreciate the music because it's not their desired genre of songs, but to not appreciate a musician or artist just because of their sexual preference is ignorant. Why deny yourself the joy of great art, music, or performances because of the star's choice in the bedroom? Who loses? All of this is spawned from a comment someone made to me when I mentioned purchasing a tribute album because Melissa Etheridge was a singer on the album. I was told, "Hanging out with gays is making you gay." What? I responded politely, "I enjoy the music because it's good. And it's narrow-minded individuals like yourself that make me want to avoid straight performers. Are you really that self-centered?" Okay, getting off soapbox again. Maybe I should put that away tonight. Then I can't hop back on.

So, our check with our bonuses is coming on Tuesday. I wish the company would cut a separate check for the bonus instead of adding it to our regular salary. I'm paying a ton of taxes on this check. Here's a clue, the deductions actually total more than more normal paycheck. Oh well, Uncle Sam is going to be giving me back a lot in February. Just in time to payoff Christmas. It's like a forces savings plan. Without the interest. Oh well, interest rates for deposit accounts suck. Here's what the Feds are thinking, "Let's fuel up the economy by making people buy lots of crap and putting themselves into debt. Then the national debt will decrease because Americans will just have it be personal debt." Maybe that's not what they're thinking, it's just that with the lower interest rates on borrowing money, people spend more and can't pay it off. And when credit interest rates are down, so are deposit interest rates. Fact of life.

That's enough randomness tonight. Later!

1 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, CarpeDM said...

I like it when you're random. It's fun.

Yay! Melissa Etheridge tickets! This is so cool.

Yeah, well, I got called sir. I'm sure the individual who made that sweeping statement would probably think I'm gay as well, just because of the haircut. I hate sterotypes.

Yet another reason I love you (in a platonic way, of course (couldn't resist)), you are not afraid to say what's on your mind. Too many people would back down from that statement.

See you tonight! Call me!