Wednesday, April 06, 2005

New Music

I'm still on the iPod kick. The little white toy has over 4,700 songs on it (about 10 are audiobooks though - I can't get enough of David Sedaris and he's much better to listen to than to read). I made it through my music files on the computer (finally, ugh!) and then I raided my dad's CD collection.

My dad has some interesting tunes in his collection. He still holds onto all the vinyl albums and I wish I knew a way to get those onto the iPod (or even CDs without purchasing the entire collection again!). But what my dad has chosen to purchase as CDs is interesting. Here's the list of what he lent me:

John Hiatt & The Goners - Beneath this Gruff Exterior
John Hiatt - The Best of...
AC/DC - Back in Black
Cream - Strange Brew: The Very Best of Cream
The B-52's - Time Capsule
Bob Seger - It's a Mystery
Various - A CD he created with Bob Seger, Bonnie Raitt, and Joe Cocker songs
Various - 70 Ounces of Rock & Gold

I also purchased a couple of CDs the other night. I found a 2-disc collection of The Moody Blues and an Eric Clapton CD that has songs from the different bands he was associated (like Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominos).

And yet, with all this new music, I'm addicted to listening to The Mechanical Bride by Medium. I knew that Bryan was good from listening to him at karaoke, but WOW! This album is fantastic. A few people at work got a taste of it from my iPod and they all loved it. My dad enjoyed it. I really wish I had a way to share it with everyone. The music has such a different feel to it. There's a blues influence. There's jazzy, rock, big band, and alternative. It's really fantastic. I can't give it enough praise.

So that's what I've been doing. The weather is getting nicer (we've had a couple of 70 degree days already!) and with the new tunes, I just want to drive in my car at night with the windows down and the radio playing. It's relaxing and I love it. It rained a little tonight. Lots of lightening, but not much water. Just the cool drops to cut the humidity down. Today was a good day.