Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Alone Time

Tomorrow I will go back to work. I did take some time off because of my grandma. I saw my mom and others in my family a few times this weekend, I've written this already.

Today was my day. It was just for me to sit back, relax, and find what I need. I scrapbooked a little, not too much. I listened to music on iTunes all day long and I went through pictures from Portugal, getting them ready for developing. DM and I chatted on MSN for a little bit and I ate dinner (homemade chicken salad - Mom's recipe. I had it on the terrible white bread that Johnny tells me not to eat. But I didn't have too many pieces.)

I decided I wanted to get out of the house for a little bit and went to see a movie. Going to movies is one of those things I have no problem doing on my own. Working nights makes it a bit harder to catch as many flicks on the silver screen, I do wish movie theaters would have more midnight shows during the week.

By the time I decided to actually go to the movies (the theater is less than a mile from my apartment. Actually, it's a block away,) it was late and my choices were pretty narrow. I knew I had no interest in The Amityville Horror (hate scary movies), House of Wax (really dislike Paris Hilton and throwing in the fact it's a horror movie, really not interested), A Lot Like Love (Ashton Kutcher - no thanks), The Pacifier (why is Vin Diesel a movie star? Can someone actually answer this question), and XXX - State of the Union (the first was bad enough, why torture us with a second? Even if Ice Cube is much cooler than Vin Diesel). This left me with The Interpreter (Nicole Kidman), Kingdom of Heaven (Orlando Bloom), Sahara (based on a Clive Cussler novel), and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (please don't make me put a description. If you don't know what it is, go see it.)

I've seen Sahara and THGTTG, but those were my top two choices. I don't really care that much to see The Interpreter and I don't actually enjoy Orlando Bloom all that much. Plus, both of those movies seemed a bit too serious for my mood. That's strange, since I normally love dramas and have enjoyed epic war movies in the past, but not tonight.

I ended up going to see Sahara again. It's not an Oscar-worthy movie by any means, but it is fun. Dirk Pitt, the main character, is a bit like an Indiana Jones that really loves water.

This post is not to give a review of a movie (I'd say 3 out of 5 stars if you really want to know, I'll probably buy it when it comes out on DVD). It's more to talk about my experience at the theater.

Tuesday night movies are good if you want some alone time. I was the only person in the theater watching the movie. In fact, I had to remind the manager of the theater to have someone START the movie.

I have to say, having an empty theater is pretty nice. I rather enjoyed sitting and losing myself in the story. There were no bratty kids, no creepy men, and no couples adding dark movie theater to their list of places they've had sex.

Being in the theater alone brought me back to my pool hall days. Every Monday, I had nothing to do and the crew wouldn't show up at Bugs until late, so I would stop for a movie at this theater. I saw a lot more movies in those days and had no problem going out by myself.

That's really all I had to say. This was not meant to be profound. My day was just for me.