Monday, May 02, 2005

Feels Like Home

Sunday night was the first time I truly felt like I was home from Portugal. DM and I headed off to the Chalet for karaoke, loaded up with 160 of the 4,000 pictures from our trip. We parked the car and headed inside the familiar bar. The first person I saw was Bobby and I felt like I was home.

Some people stole our table. It was horrible! We have claimed the three tables set up in the middle of the bar right in front of the stage (and Bryan working at the karaoke machine). The tables close to the windows are crowded and have a draft, so we sit and freeze when we are there. The tables closer to the bar are WAY too close to the bar, we get hit by passerbys and feel like we're sitting on top of other tables. We had to take the tables by the windows last night and hated it. But we loved being at karaoke.

Bryan showed up (a bit later than normal) and got the show started. The place was packed last night, we each sang four songs. (I sang, "Son of a Preacher Man," "Your Little Secret," "Bring Me Some Water," and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love.") When Bryan started singing, I almost started crying. I adored being in Portugal. There were comforts of home I missed, but they were minimal. The one thing that I know both DM and I missed the most was karaoke. We missed listening to Bryan sing and missed our friends from the Chalet. Hearing Bryan belt out the different songs he sang reminded me why we love karaoke so much. It was like hearing it again with new ears. So, so beautiful.

We gave out the gifts we had brought back for everyone. We also had the pictures to show off. Liz sat with us last night, even with our horrible seats, and she kept asking us about the holiday. Char and Tom were there and we enjoyed their company. James showed up and we had fun talking with him and he loved the gift that DM picked up for him. He was happy that she thought of him while on vacation.

At the very end of the night, we were able to show Bobby and Bryan the pictures. Both were working so we had to wait. Bryan made some wonderful comments about the photos. He was extremely impressed with what we had brought in. He actually wants a few of the pictures sent to him (which I am going to do). He actually said as we were leaving, "Most times I look at people's vacation photos and don't care. These were wonderful pictures." He kept complimenting the detail in the photos and the beauty held within them. I know we both feel good about the images we chose to develop right away.

We took over 4,000 pictures there (which Liz did the math, she figures we took a roll of film an hour while we were there). Going through the images, I would say we have 500 magnificent pictures, 1,500 great picture, 1,000 pretty good pictures, 500 good pictures, and 500 pictures that are decent. There are a few to delete and we're not going to develop all of them, by any means, but it is worth having them.

On a side note, the boy showed up last night. Pete was there too, but luckily, I never actually had to talk to him. The boy joined our table and found it incredible that we had been in Portugal. He liked the pictures, looking over Liz's shoulder and then asking me to show some of them to him. Char and Tom enjoyed his company (DM and Liz didn't really want to talk with him much) and Char made sure to embarrass the hell out of me, slipping comments in that were a bit dirty. (Because, hey, it's great to bring up the subject of oral sex over and over.)

It was great to see Bryan, Liz, Bobby, James, Char, and Tom last night. It felt like home.

While we were gone, Rob Thomas released his solo album. I had been worried, since the single sounds very pop and Justin Timberlake-like, but the rest of the album is fantastic. The last song is slow and accompanied by the piano. I have most of the lyrics and I do love the song. The album is worth the money.

This is the last song on the album.

Now Comes the Night
Rob Thomas

When the hour is upon us
And our beauty is surely gone
No you will not be forgotten
And you will not be alone
No you will not be alone

And when the day has all but ended
And our echo starts to fade
No you will not be lonely
And you will not be afraid
No you will not be afraid

And when the fog has finally lifted
From my cold and tired brow
No I will not leave you crying
No I will not let you down
No I will not let you down
I will not let you down

Now comes the night
Feel it in the wind
And the soul underneath
Is it all that remains
So just slide over here
Leave your fear in the ***** (This is the only word I cannot figure out)
Let us hold onto each other
Until the end of our days

And when the hour upon us
And our beauty is surely gone
No you will not be forgotten
And you will not be alone
No you will not be alone