Monday, September 20, 2004

324-06 (Disc # - Track # for those not familiar with karaoke)

There are rules to karaoke and one that should be added is, 'If you're going to make fun of a song, have the guts enough to embarrass yourself by singing it.' Tonight seemed to be "Embarrass yourself Sunday" in honor of the previous "New Song Sunday".

The first song I sang tonight in the spirit of embarrassment was a song I hate. I mean this. It's a song where the singer whines the entire song. I sang, "Stay" by Lisa Loeb. Why? To make fun of it. That's the sole reason.

I was looking through the book, trying to find something new and fun, and I joked to Michael, "Should I sing _____?"

Michael's response, "Yeah! I'll sing it with you!"

I was not allowed to back out of this joke. My turn came around and Michael and I headed to the stage, ready to frighten the filling bar. Even Bryan was afraid of our choice.

Are you on the edge of your seat yet? What could possibly so odd for me to sing?

The answer:

Enter Sandman by Metallica.

That's right. I sang Metallica tonight. I didn't even realize I knew the song as well as I did. I guess this is what I get from years of being a pool hall junkie.

Surprise came to myself and Michael as we sang the song and realized it wasn't as terrible as we thought it would be. There may even be a repeat of the performance.

Dana came up with an interesting idea tonight while flipping through the book of songs. She'll be posting soon (be sure to check out: Green Duckies and Other Tales of Dana). I tried to help with this series of ideas and if popular, there may be many to come.

I did find a song in the book I didn't realize was there tonight. Mercy, Mercy Me by Marvin Gaye. I mentioned this to Bryan at the end of the night. He told me he's sang it before and he said he'd sing it in the future for me. I may just die of happiness. There are so many opportunities for growling in this song.

I need a moment.

Okay, moment's over.

We're planning on karaoke again next Sunday. It's just too much fun. There is always an open invitation to join us and we love big groups.

For those Tower junkies (and to annoy Dana), at this time it's less than 21 hours until I can hold the last book in my hands. In my obsession, I've been watching westerns.

From the Magnificent Seven.

"That's the best shot I've ever seen." As a man falls off his horse in the distance.

"Worst. I was aiming at the horse."

1 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, CarpeDM said...

Ah, the subtle differences between "Embarrass Yourself" Sunday and "New Song" Sunday. To the eyes of the untrained mortals, it may appear that they're exactly the same thing. But we know differently. We're in the know. We're cool.

I think there should be a "Going to the Wheel" Sunday. Followed by lots and lots of drinking. Which we don't do. I am striking the previous comment.