Wednesday, September 01, 2004

My mother finally became Blog worthy

I have refrained from posting some stories about my mom. She's a wonderful mother, I love her dearly. Like any daughter, I fear becoming her. The other day, she called me a few times and I need to share the conversations.

5:00 PM, I have been talking to her for 45 minutes now about the cat, the dogs, work, the Olympics, etc.


M: Are you scrapbooking?
B: No, I was getting dressed. (She heard the deodorant can.)
M: Do you have a guy over?
B: What? No.
M: Why are you just now getting dressed?
B: Because it's my day off, I've been awake about an hour now and decided to change out of my pjs.
M: I hear someone. Who's that?
B: Fred LeBlanc from Cowboy Mouth playing on my stereo.
M: Are you sure you don't have a guy over?
B: Pretty sure.
M: It's okay if you do.
B: Well, that's good to know that I have your permission after 25 years of life to have a person of the male gender hanging out in my apartment that I pay for.
M: Okay. (She is smiling here, I can hear it in her voice.)

We talk about 10 more minutes and then she has to go. I had plans to go to my dad's for dinner so that's where I go.

About an hour later, my mom calls my cell phone.

M: I forgot to tell you that the cat is now 18.2 pounds.
B: Wow.
M: Where are you?
B: I'm at Dad's.
My dad says something in the background.
M: Do you have a guy over?
B: I'm at Dad's.
M: I KNOW I heard a man in the background there.
B: Yes, that would be Dad, the man you were married to for 25 years.
M: It's okay if you have a guy over you know. I wouldn't mind.

Here's the thing, if I did have a guy over, I don't think I'd be running to my mom for approval. And if I did have a guy over, do you think I would spend 45 minutes talking to my mom about the fact the cat's neck is bigger than it's head and this is why it can't have a collar? Would this impress anyone???

I get the logical part of my personality from my dad. I get the impulsive part of my personality from my mom. Being the daughter I am (mostly a daddy's girl) and being afraid of turning into my mother, I try to suppress my impulsive tendencies. This is probably why I come out as the neutral sheep. And why Dana thinks I'm Spock. (Forget the fact that when I was in kindergarten and we had playtime, I was always playing Spock. Yes, I admitted it, I liked Star Trek as a 5 year old and I thought the logical alien was cooler than the impulsive captain. I also have one pointed ear (my ears are different shapes) and can do that whole V thing with both hands. Why did I just share this?)

Oh well, Live long and prosper.

5 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, rod said...

ok, bad news: you will become your mom. You will work very very hard at identifying each little quirk that rears itself and then squelching it, squashing it, squishing it. But then one day something will distract you. Something will take your attention away from not becoming your mom. It might be (heaven forbid) that you have a guy over. You take your mind off the eternal task at hand. You look in the mirror and ... there's your mom. Oh man, I stopped paying attention for a fraction of a second. She'll look back at you from the bathroom wall and say, "now dear, you just go and live your life. Don't you worry, I'll keep an eye on you from right here."
Not that this should scare you. In order to become yourself, you've got to be made of someone. Better that it should be this way. If you became your dad, you'd have to deal with the hairy chest and all. Anyway, live long and prosper, whichever parent you become. If you are lucky, you may not even realize it until your kids say, "mom, did you learn how to love me from grandma?"

At 9:02 AM, Matt said...

Little Sister,

I am not afraid of you becoming your mother, because I cannot see you in the back yard yelling at the neighbors while.....well you know the rest of the story. I can however see you having Spock as a childhood hero, not because of your logical personality, but because of your father's album collection I saw. That says it all. Talk to you later,
Big Brother

At 4:42 PM, CarpeDM said...

Ah, who knew providing your mother with my cat would lead to many, many enjoyable conversations about him. I love hearing stories about your mom, Beth.

At 3:35 PM, Firebear said...

Hmmm, Did you have a guy over when you wrote this post? Its ok if you did.

At 7:16 PM, The Lioness said...

LOL, and Firebear - LOL!