Friday, September 03, 2004

Ode to an old friend

I got home late this evening, playing cards at the late night restaurant with Dana again. I'm still worried, my big brother didn't show up. =( I hope everything is okay with Matt.

I was goofing off (surprise, surprise right?) and I made an eagle claw with my hand. I was thinking of Kill Bill. Dana started laughing and reminded me of an old friend.

Years ago, I was a regular at the pool hall. Each night, my destination after work was not home, it was to check in with the other pool hall junkies. We did actually play billiards much, we stood around, laughing, playing music, and dropping quite a few quarters in the video games.

One of the other regulars was Bob. Bob is a natural comedian. He loves making others laugh and smile. He's a very down-to-earth person with tremendous energy.

Bob had a bit to make you smile. He would come at you, his hand in the eagle claw position. You know, the two fingers curled up and the thumb curled on the bottom. He would yell, "EAGLE CLAW!"

Next, Bob would add a curled finger and yell, "BEAR CLAW!"

Continuing on the road house kung-fu movie kick, Bob would turn his hand (which I can't explain) into his, "TIGER PAW!"

And then, sweet as pie, he'd put both hand up above his shoulders, walk back and forth sideways, making pinching gestures with his fingers, and yell, "THE CRAB!"

It's so simple, yet I laughed every time he did this. You just have to imagine this medium sized, meaty man meandering back and forth with this goofy grin on his face pretending to be a crab.

I miss Bob.

1 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, CarpeDM said...

Oh, God, I just started laughing all over again. And you were worried you wouldn't be able to describe it...or, perhaps, I'm just imagining you doing the routine again.

I miss Bob as well.

Have you heard from your brother?