Monday, September 13, 2004

7 days to go...

I'm obsessed. I'll admit it. I'm a Tower Junkie. This post is for those interested in picking up the Dark Tower series or are already gripped by it. Just a warning.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series has gripped me in a way I could never have imagined. I've written about the obsession before (Obsession, yes, that's what it is and An update to my obsession). I dream about the series of books.

Stephen King started this story in 1970. I have been worried about the final part of the epic quest, my main worries have involved certain characters ending their journey with Roland (the main character) and also that I would be disappointed with the last book because it would be too short.

I'm going to discuss my worry about the story being too short first. That's right. I said too short. Does this seem too short to you?

The Gunslinger, The Dark Tower I: Labeled Resumption in the revised and expanded throughout version: 231 pages. The first tale introduces us to Roland Deschain, the gunslinger, on his quest for the Dark Tower and trying to catch up to the man in black. Roland meets Jake Chambers during this book, the boy who in a later story becomes part of his ka-tet (his group of gunslingers, friends, etc.)

The Drawing of the Three, The Dark Tower II: Labeled Renewal: 406 pages. The second installment of the tale involves Roland falling ill to a poison in his body and his "drawing" of additional members of his quest. It's in this story that Roland meets Eddie Dean, a heroin junkie from New York, and Odetta Holmes/Detta Walker (later named Susannah), a woman whose multiple personalities make up for the fact of her lost legs. This is the story I finally started to like Roland as a character. He finally made some friends. This hit a spot in my heart.

The Waste Land, The Dark Tower III: Labeled Redemption: 420 pages. The third book in the series starts with Roland training Eddie and Susannah how to be gunslingers while he starts to lose his mind. While the three are following the Path of the Beam (the beams hold the Tower together and the Tower is the center of all existence and all worlds), they are able to pull Jake Chambers back into their world. The group travels towards the Tower and Jake finds a friend in a billy-bumbler, Oy. A billy-bumbler is like a dog, a raccoon, and some other small animals. The book ended on a big cliffhanger, leaving the ka-tet on board a psychotic train (yes, the machine has emotion, a personality, and independent thought) headed for disaster. Stephen King fans were livid for the break in the story and the gap between book 3 and book 4 was too long for most.

Wizard and Glass, The Dark Tower IV: Labeled Regard: 668 pages. This book recounts the tale of Roland's youth and his first love. Since Roland started in his quest for the Tower in his teenage years, it is important to show the beginning. He shares his failures with his ka-tet and the book helps define his character. Some Constant Readers (what King uses to refer to his fans) were not pleased with this story. It is set in the past and does not move the story forward much. It was a long book and for the record, my absolute favorite. This book made me see Roland for the character he is. I became drawn to his feelings, seeing how his life was given for the quest, and how he may have had choices, but he could never give up the ultimate destination. I enjoyed seeing Roland fall in love and feel the heartache of young love.

Wolves of the Calla, The Dark Tower V: Labeled Resistance: 709 pages. The ka-tet continues on their journey and end up in a town unable to fight for itself. Gunslingers, by definition, are supposed to assess situations and provide help in the name of good when they can. The group prepares for the upcoming battle and add another member to their group along the way. Father Callahan (from 'Salem's Lot) joins the ka-tet. The battle itself is somewhat anti-climatic, but then the epic is about the Tower, not the battles in between. This is the longest book in the series published as of today. It's an enjoyable read and King starts alluding to the events of the last two books.

Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower VI: Labeled Reproduction: 411 pages. I went to an all-night retail store when this was released. The story is good, it follows the gunslingers as their ka-tet is split across time and worlds. The final battle is drawing near and much is left to be accomplished. Susannah is pregnant and close to giving birth to a child that may or may not be a demon. I enjoyed the story but was disappointed in the length of it. I was hoping for around 800 or 900 pages. I finished it in two nights and have been waiting patiently for book seven to arrive.

This brings me to the point. I want the story to go on forever and I think it's too short. It's told beautifully, at least I think so. I wouldn't be addicted to old Sergio Leone westerns, buying each book in hardcover (and paperback), and reading all of the related stories if I didn't enjoy the story.

Let's add up the pages:
231 + 406 + 420 + 668 + 709 + 411 = 2845 That's right. I seem to be insane. I think 2,845 pages is too few.

And is that all? No. There are so many other Stephen King stories that tie into the Dark Tower and I have the desire to read them all. The stories related to the Dark Tower (according to King on the list of his stories in Song of Susannah) are: 'Salem's Lot 656, The Stand 1168, The Talisman (with Peter Straub) 768, It 1104, The Eyes of the Dragon 380, Insomnia 663, Rose Madder 479, Desperation 547, Bag of Bones 752, Black House (with Peter Straub) 658, From a Buick 8 752, The Regulators (written as Richard Bachman) 512, Skeleton Crew (collection) 576, Hearts in Atlantis (collection) 688, and Everything's Eventual (collection) 608. *Page count in paperback editions

I can't believe the pull this story has on my life. When I'm reading the stories, I drive my friends crazy by quoting the characters. That's right. I'm a nerd. But I haven't purchased Dark Tower thong underwear and I won't.

So I've explained how long the story has been and that I really want a complete story in the end. I looked at Amazon.com tonight about the last book coming out next Tuesday. Since I took a day off of work to read a book (yes, I did use the word obsession), I didn't want to be disappointed when I bought the book at 12:01 AM Tuesday morning. Amazon listed the number of pages.

The Dark Tower, The Dark Tower VII: 864 pages. Yes!!!! It's the longest story directly about the Dark Tower yet. I may not finish it on the one day off, but I'm sure I'll get at least halfway done that first day.

So, I'm stating this right now. I may not be blogging much the beginning of next week. This is why.

My concerns about characters and what will happen to them is something I may write about after I read the story, but I may not. I'll post what I thought of the book and let anyone interested know if I felt the wait was worth it. For those who made it through my lame post about my obsession, I hope you have a desire to read the books. You might enjoy them.

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, The Lioness said...

When "The Order of the Phoenix" came out I went to the store early in the morning, bought the book, got back home at 10 am, started reading, fell asleep at around 11.30 pm after long struggle to stay awake (I only had a little bit to go), woke up with a start at around 1am, finished it by 3. I had an exam 2 days later, a huge one, but nothing stands between my books and I. Nothing! There are only 3 more of the series coming out. I know EXACTLY what you feel. Hope you enjoy all 864 pp. (So I'm a book nerd too. Nu, what's wrong with that? Pity on those who aren't!)

At 12:10 PM, CarpeDM said...

I do understand this. I am not so much a Tower Junkie but I am a book junkie. I would rather read than do anything. What drives me crazy is when people insist on sitting with me while I'm on a lunch break and talking to me. If I would have wanted to have a conversation, I would have found someone I like (such as one of my friends) to go to lunch with me. Go away.

Knowing you, Beth, has made me more of a social person but there are still times when I want to tell me to shut up and let me read. I think that's why I like blogging so much. When you're on the computer, people seem to leave you alone.