Saturday, September 18, 2004

The Kissing Game

In honor of the Kissing Game, it is time to finally tell my story of my first boyfriend, Paulie.

Paulie went to a different school, ah, a man of mystery, and I met him through a bowling league. He had a youthful innocence to about him (translation: he was short, young, and immature), but then, so did I (translation: I was young, stupid, and didn't understand that most boys can actually grow out of bathroom humor).

Back in the days of inexperience, I remember my feeling of joy reading Paulie's note to me, asking me out. It went like this:

"Hi Beth! I'm at school and wanted to say hello! Hello! I'm in math class right now. English is my next class. Will you go out with me? Now I'm in English. I'll see you when I give this to you. Bye! Paulie"

Ah, the dreaded note. I, to this day, do not understand the fascination held in "THE NOTE." Why did I have the desire to write stupid, meaningless things to my friends (such gems as, "I went to lunch," and "Oh, that Kevin, he's so cute. I really, really like him. I would just DIE if he knew!") and feeling the need to have someone give me a note back. I seem to remember having a "NOTE" book that a friend and I passed back and forth all year long once. It seems foolish and lame now, looking back on my school years as a fully-functioning adult.

While I'm off subject, what the heck does "going out" mean? It should imply the couple actually goes on dates right? In school, this always seemed to be silly. No one actually went out on dates. It usually meant you had a special someone to pass notes to in class.

Where was I? Oh right, Paulie, his note, and his question. How could I, a girl of 16, respond to such a well-presented request? Of course! <Smacking myself in the forehead> I said yes. It wouldn't be much of a story for me to have said no, would it?

So I was "going out" with Paulie. After one week of us "going out," (okay, the next time I actually saw him), Paulie gave me a rose he picked up at the gas station when his mom stopped to fill up her tank that morning. How romantic. My silly little heart swelled with the sentiment. Yeah, right. The rose died, as all uprooted plants will eventually.

A couple of weeks later, we arranged an actual date! Paulie and I, along with four other people (the classic group date - no pressure) decided to see The Lion King at the run-down, bad neighborhood dollar theater. I paid my own way.

I sure can find the winners huh? And to think, this was probably the best boyfriend I've had to this day. At least he was a decent human being.

I mentioned Paulie's youthful innocence before. Let me elaborate. Paulie kept changing the words of Hakuna Matata to the phrase, "I like Madonna." I have repressed the additional imaginative lines he created, I think they involved parts of Madonna's anatomy.

Oh baby oh.

I did not giggle like a school girl (even though I was one) at his rendition of the song. The other boys with us seemed to think Paulie was the next Robin Williams. He wasn't.

Our second date involved a high school play. My school was putting on Phantom of the Opera because the director of our school seemed to believe Fridley was the next Broadway. I bought tickets and we had seats near the stage. During the show, dry ice was used to create mist and Paulie started to freak out. We were not even near the mist but he started to panic. I guess the mist would bother his asthma or something. Paulie was just a happenin' dude.

One day at bowling, Paulie was listening to his Walk-Man. His new tape was Bon Jovi's Crossroads album. He made me listen to track #4, Always. He told me, "This is how I feel about you." I should have ended it right there. There is no way at our age that he truly felt this way and I know I didn't really like him more than a friend. The lyrics are at the bottom of this post.

A couple of weeks after the second date, we had a third date. I'm sure there were more than 3, I only remember these specifically though. We went, where else, bowling. To get away from the group, Paulie used the excuse that he left something in my car. He wanted me to go open the car up for him.

We went outside to my car, standing in the spring air outside the bowling alley. Paulie reached into his bag in the trunk and pulled out a gold bracelet. It did have actual gold in it (later I found out his mom bought it for him to give me) and he put it on my wrist. Then he kissed me.

I remember the kiss. If it hadn't been my first, I doubt it would have lingered. You know how some elderly people have soft, mushy skin? Like my grandma. Her skin is healthy, just old. His lips felt like when I hug my grandma.

The bracelet's clasp broke two days later. I never did have it fixed.

Paulie and I broke it off a few months later when summer came. It wasn't because of anything in particular, we just didn't see each other. We actually went out a second time, the next school year and bowling season. I ended that relationship because we were better friends than a couple. We talked throughout high school and I even kept in contact up until about four and a half years ago. One night, Paulie came up to the pool hall I hung out at and went to dinner with my friend and I after it closed. She asked us, "Why don't you two go out?" We looked at each other, and I told her, "We're better as friends." I hope Paulie is doing well. He's a good guy, just not the guy for me.

As promised:

Always

Performed by Bon Jovi

This Romeo is bleeding, but you can't see his blood
It's nothing but some feelings
That this old dog kicked up
It's been raining since you left me
Now I'm drowning in the flood
You see I've always been a fighter
But without you I give up

Now I can't sing a love song
Like the way it's meant to be
Well, I guess I'm not that good anymore
But baby, that's just me

1 - Yeah, I will love you, baby
Always and I'll be there
Forever and a day, always

2 - I'll be there, till the stars don't shine
Till the heavens burst and the words don't rhyme
I know when I die you'll be on my mind
and I'll love you, always

Now your pictures that you left behind
Are just memories of a different life
Some that made us laugh
Some that made us cry
One that made you have to say goodbye

What I'd give to run my fingers thru your hair
Touch your lips, to hold you near,
When you say your prayers, try to understand
I've made mistakes, I'm just a man

When he holds you close, when he pulls you near
When he says the words
You've been needing to hear, I'll wish I was him
'Cause these words are mine, to say to you
'Til the end of time

(repeat 1)

If you told me to cry for you, I could
If you told me to die for you, I would
Take a look at my face
There's no price I won't pay
To say these words to you

Well, there ain't no luck in these loaded dice
But baby, if you give me just one more try
We can pack up our old dreams, and our old lives,
We'll find a place, where the sun still shines

(repeat 1,2)

1 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, CarpeDM said...

Okay. Pretty lyrics, don't think I've ever heard the song but he plays it for you and says this is how I feel about you? What the hell is that?

Because, if I'm reading this correctly, this is a pretty depressing song about some guy who lost his girlfriend to another guy. And he's standing outside in the rain, quite possibly stalking her, singing about how he will always love her. Did he tell her that before she left him? Probably not.

Why is it that I'm always drawn to the songs first? Anyway, Paulie, wow. I can't believe you let him get away.