Saturday, September 25, 2004

Rock and Roll All Night

Melissa Etheridge, Lucky Tour


Tonight was the concert. Dana, Matt, and I went to see Melissa Etheridge in Minneapolis. Wow! The show was amazing.

My vocal chords got a big workout tonight, as well as my hips. We were all dancing in front of our seats for almost the entire show.

The points about the concert I want to make will seem a little random, I just want to get some of the experience out here.

First off, the atmosphere of the audience was uplifting. The room was filled with couples, sharing the experience of powerful music, meaningful words, and the comfort of everyone feeling welcome. It was almost as if you could reach out and touch the love. That's the best I can do to describe it.

She sang songs I didn't even think she would. A couple I figured were too old and not well known for her to rock the crowd with. I was touched with Silent Legacy, The Weakness in Me, and Tuesday Morning. I figured she might sing Tuesday Morning but it was a pleasant surprise to actually hear it live. I cried. I'll admit it. I cried. The Weakness in Me is actually a cover of a Joan Armatrading song. Melissa Etheridge played it on the piano beautifully.

A great surprise as we went in: the security guard told me I could take pictures as long as I didn't use a flash. Thus, the picture above. One thing I've learned about concerts, using a flash actually hurts the picture.

Most of the songs touch my heart in ways I hadn't realized they could. I relate to the lyrics and the emotion behind the lyrics. The songs are written in such a way that they are universal. I sang along with all of them. I looked over at one point and saw Dana jamming out. Matt kept moving to the beat.

After the concert, which we were able to get out easily, we went to the all-night diner and shared a few good laughs. Although I was home by 2:30 in the morning, I'm beat. I usually stay up later (the eternal nightlife of a vampire - I'm not really a vampire, don't worry), but the energy spent cheering, singing, and dancing has worn me out. I just needed to share the fact I had a wonderful time, I would recommend seeing Melissa Etheridge in concert to anyone. Come with an open mind and leave feeling powerful.

3 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, rod said...

You've probably noticed how much I enjoy concerts. I'm glad you got to see this. Some of my students actually complain that I require them to attend concerts. I can't imagine.
Thanks for sharing it.

At 6:12 AM, CarpeDM said...

How could anyone complain about seeing a concert? There's something about the energy of live music that doesn't translate to the cd. The beat is more alive (which sounds extremely strange).

What a great time.

At 4:23 PM, Matt said...

I had a fantastic time at the concert, and I will say this, I wa a fan before the concert, but after I have so much more respect for her as an artist and a human being. Plus she is so damn hot!
Matt