Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Random Blog - Just stuff on my mind

Tonight was a good day, I went to dinner with Keem and Dana (see post below about Keem) and we stopped at a scrapbooking store afterwards. I spent money I shouldn't have, but I had fun. I am looking forward to using all the stuff I bought.

News I heard tonight, on the actual news even, is that Jay Leno is stepping down as host of The Tonight Show in 2009. He announced his replacement and I can't believe I hadn't heard about this sooner. I'm pleased about the replacement (I don't really like Leno and this will let me enjoy The Tonight Show). They announced that Conan O'Brien will be the fifth host of The Tonight Show! Yea! I like Conan. I just do.

For the reason of seeing what children watch and trying to alleviate fears of the mentality of children's T.V. shows hitting rock bottom, I watched this really strange show VERY early Sunday morning. It was about high schoolers who go to some strange private school. In the show, a Venus fly trap turned into a girl and started trying to date all the boys and eat them.

What??? I was so confused. Children shows should not confuse me. This one did. Why did the plant turn into a person? Is this normal? It wasn't even cool like a Twilight Zone episode. No, it was just a girl who bit this other girl's boyfriend. They threw some moldy food on her and she turned back into a plant.

While I was watching this show, my brow furrowed and a state of dull surprise on my face, I saw a commercial for this show called "Tutenstein." This cartoon appears to be about King Tut coming back to life as Frankenstein's monster. I have a few things to say about this, but the first I wonder about is, 'Wasn't the Mummy scary enough?'

On the commercial, it appears that Tutenstein is a brat. He bites people and makes them clean up his tomb. He's a spoiled brat. Now, I haven't seen the show, but it bothers me that the history of the ancient Egyptians is being tainted by this horrid atrocity. It made me sad to think children are being entertained by the image of a pharaoh coming back to life and biting people. What happened to the fact he was a young ruler of a dominant society? What about the culture of the ancient Egyptians? I'm just afraid.

Matt has been blogging lately. He's been blogging a lot! I love it. Seriously, check out The Window Licking Cat. He's insane, but hilarious.

Karaoke was an adventure in itself last night. The gentleman from Beer Goggles was there. He asked me to sing a duet with him. I didn't. He did manage to give the bar his rendition of Butterfly Kisses. This song has always made me cry, it's designed to do just that. It's about a girl who grows up and her dad is singing about how she used to give him hugs in the morning and butterfly kisses at night. Then she gets married and he's sad. Sunday night was the first time this song didn't make me cry. I think it was because I didn't realize which song he was singing until the third verse. I couldn't understand ANY of the words. I can understand not being able to carry a tune, but not being able to even SPEAK clearly into a microphone? He did it fine at the table. Even if what he said to me was, "You're sure you don't want to do a duet? I know I suck, but we could do a duet. You don't like duets? You should do a duet." Ahhh! Leave me alone!

Good things about karaoke were abundant though. A friend from the other bar showed up and Dana and I got to talk to Dean for awhile. Dean is always enjoyable. Plus, that man can rap! I can handle any rap if it comes from Dean.

The boy who looks like Alex with Charlie's eyes was there again. And he started conversation with me! It was a happy moment. And it happened while Bryan was singing so I may just hold onto that moment for the week. Any time I need a smile, I'll remember the cute boy who actually looks me in the eyes when he talks to me! Life's simple pleasures.

There is another commercial I feel I need, no HAVE to explain. The NBC affiliate in Minnesota is KARE 11. The news slogan is, "The news, handled with KARE." I have been watching the morning news lately (just plain odd for me) and the weatherman's name is Jonathan Yuhas. He's funny and I don't get upset with the show. The station makes sure to cover the news as best as they can but also present GOOD news stories. Watching the program is not just a feel bad time.

Okay, I got a little off the point here. There is a commercial for the early show focusing on Yuhas. I've seen it a few times and I am completely puzzled. I have no idea what this means.

Picture this on your T.V. screen:

A man sits in his easy chair with a woman behind him. They are watching Yuhas on a cartoon television. The voice over says, "Before you go to work, have a Yuhas. Why a Yuhas you ask? Because he's been known to make cows dance." And it switches to a picture of a cow in a field and it starts jumping back and forth.

What does this mean?!? My logical brain cannot compute. Do cows dance? And how did he make them dance?

This is why I don't watch T.V. I don't get it.

2 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Rev said...

"You're sure you don't want to do a duet? I know I suck, but we could do a duet. You don't like duets? You should do a duet."

Are you describing "The Stalker" as mentioned in a previous post? Just take out "duet" and replace it with "baseball".

"I really like baseball."

;)

The Rev
http://www.reverendjoyleaf.blogspot.com/

At 10:57 AM, CarpeDM said...

Well, the red shirt experiment obviously failed. It's not the shirt. That was proved Sunday...unless we go with the fact that pink is a shade of red.

I had a great time at karaoke. And dinner. And at the stamping store. It's always fun to spend time with you.