Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Book Update

I'm not really writing about what the book is about here, just what I'm feeling. I got 300 pages into it and had to go to bed. I just did.

My dreams were quite strange, I'll tell you that. Not scary, just odd. I kept dreaming about reading the book and I was getting really annoyed with the parts my dreams came up with. I think I'm afraid Stephen King is going to play a joke on his readers and my dreams captured this.

One thing I did notice about King's writing in this book. There are no qualms about killing off major characters. I'm shocked at how quickly some characters can die (good and bad characters, although I'm referring here to a bad character). I have to say, I excepted a whole lot more to one character's story.

I've broken into tears three times so far. I'm keeping note of this for my big brother (I won't say when until he's done reading). I've found a couple of the connections to other stories.

It probably won't happen, but I'm waiting, hoping for connection to IT, the first Stephen King book I read on my own (my mom read Eyes of the Dragon to me many times as a child, wonderful story). Most people love The Stand, and I will say it's a great story, but IT touched my heart. I think I like it most when King writes about children. Maybe it was because I was a child when I read IT. IT is the book I've read the most often and cried every time I put it down, because the story was over, because the characters I'd grown to love would no more "speak" to me a new tale.

I slept for about 7 hours and now I'm refreshed and ready to pick the book back up. I put it down last night because I was getting a little annoyed with it. The story moves fast and King uses the "there's not enough time for us to explain right now" a little too much. It's a good trick for him to use to keep secrets about the ending though.

To Matt, the illustration with the plates, I definitely had the wrong person. And I can't believe how wrong that I was. I smacked myself in the forehead when I realized who it was. Duh!