Saturday, February 05, 2005

Twist of Fate...

I've previously mentioned that I work nights and I do have a little bit of a inkling to move to days.

I was offered a job today that would be Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM.

Without any hesitation, I turned it down.

There were a few reasons for turning down the job, and I'll admit, the losing 10% of my salary was only a small reason (but a good one to use to deny the position).

The other job is the same position, team lead. It would be switching from evenings to days and switching teams completely. I would also switch from being under one manager (my boss's boss) to the other sales manager. My boss would also change.

My current boss did a total happy dance when I turned the job down. He was not only worried about having to hire a new team lead and train them in, he was also worried that I would chose the other person over him. He made the comparison (later, at the pool hall - yes, I went out and played pool with my boss after work) to a banker, "It would be like your husband [she's 22] leaving you for a 75-year old woman with bad breath."

My response, "No, it would be like your husband leaving you for a 75-year old MAN with bad breath."

The ironic part about the position is the fact I originally applied for it three years ago. I was turned down back then (much having to do with a certain friend of mine). After being turned down, I realized what a blessing in disguise it was. I am quite happy I did not get that job and I'm glad my life is where it is.

I found the whole moment tonight quite funny.

3 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Matt thought...

I too did find that moment to be quite funny as well. I think that it is great that you are being offered some jobs other than what you have right now, and I think that it is even more awesome hearing you be so loyal to stay where you are at. It seems to me that the team has a fantastic person to be theri leader, even if you are not (on paper anyway) the full throttle leader, the ones that know you really knoiws who runs the show. So to speak. I am very happy for you, and I wish I could have been there to share in the humor of the moment. I will talk to you later Little Sister.
Big Brother

At 6:21 PM, CarpeDM thought...

I can't believe this. This is so funny.

Why would she think you would work for her after the stupid reason she rejected you for? Strange people.

Oh, well. As much as I hope you get a day shift soon, I would rather it be because it was the right fit for you and there is a promotion involved with a salary increase that more than makes up for losing the shift dif.

At 5:30 AM, wally thought...

Beth,

Found your blog through, Weary Hag. You have a nice site.
Your boss's comment reminded me of something my wife had told me after I had asked her: "Do you think you'll ever get tired of me, and dump me for a younger man?"
Her reply was: "No, dear. If he would happen to leave me for a younger woman, I'd be devastated."
I scratched my head, before asking: "Well, what if I would happen to leave you?"
She smiled, and said: "That's why I married you, dear. If you leave me, it wouldn't bother me that much!"
I should'a never asked, huh!? ;-)