Monday, November 08, 2004

Blah, blah, blah.

I'm not feeling creative for a good title tonight. I don't know why.

What a weekend! I had a good couple of days off from work and I feel good. I need to acknowledge when I feel good more often.

When I got off of work Saturday night, I came home (no partying for this girl) and sighed a deep breath of relief that I had no homework due. Yes, I know school is starting again on Wednesday night, but nothing can be a horribly frustrating as statistics was. I have lost every bit of retention from that class already. The good news, I got my grade today. 93.75%. I got an A in the class! Then I paid tuition (ouch!).

On Sunday, I slept SUPER late. Normally, I get up at 1 PM for work. On weekends, I usually get up around 2:30. I must have needed the rest because I went to sleep at 5 AM and woke up at 4:30. That felt so good.

Plans to go to Dana's fell through (we have to do it sometime soon though - don't think Keem and I will forget Dana) but I did pick her up at 9 PM and we went to karaoke. It was a slow evening at the Chalet but I had a blast. Michael was there and he hung out with us. It was his birthday and we wished him lots of happy birthdays. Since it was slow, Bryan, the jovial karaoke host, sang a ton of songs and that made Dana and I quite happy. We all sat around talking politics, music, and movies.

The politics talk was spawned by some comments left on Dana's blog. When I got home from karaoke, I left another comment and I see that Donovan has revisited the site. I appreciate the apology Donovan (if you read this site at all). I look forward to seeing a blog from Donovan, even if he is a Republican. I'd like to hear his thoughts on the issues and see the ideas more concrete. He has every right to voice an opinion and I would like to hear it. I don't know if I'll agree but I'll listen to what he has to say.

I think I slept too late on Sunday and I had troubles falling asleep on Sunday night/Monday morning. It was 7:45 before I think my eyes closed and remained closed. I had gone to bed at 5 AM (typical bedtime for me). I woke up today at 2:30 on the dot. So strange. I know what was keeping me up and I'm working on a post for a different blog about that whole issue, but it will take me a long time to formulate everything I want to say.

I finished up three scrapbooks this weekend (all from one trip to Vegas - yes, I'm insane with the camera). I did a quick post about the new site I set up this weekend, Preserving Memories. It's just pictures of scrapbook layouts I've done. I will probably add more in the future. I started a quick 7 x 7 inch album tonight. It's just some old family photos that I really wanted to get out of the magnetic album. Nothing spectacular.

When school started, I pushed this story/novel aside that Dana "assigned" me to do. I have 31 pages written already and I should get back to it. Once the rough draft is done, I'm going to go back for the re-write. Right now I'm just trying to get the story down on paper (or screen as computers have allowed us to do these days). A story that has been in the back of my head for years resurfaced in my mind this past week. Okay, I had a dream about it again. I don't know what brought it on but I am thinking about it a lot. I should probably just start some notes and when I finish this one, I'll try the new idea. It would take more research and probably be a little harder to write.

Here's the idea for the new story:

A woman falls in love with a foreigner. (Tried, but true!) The circumstances of their meeting are still fuzzy. They are not able to stay together due to geography and such. Back at home, she rekindles a romance from her youth (wow, do I have basis for the characters from my life or what?).

Okay, at this point, I'd say the story is pretty common. Here's the twist (and it's probably been done before): The current boyfriend/husband whatever is called off to war (I'm not sure if this is voluntary or not). The war is against the country where the foreigner lives. The two men end up in battle against each other.

Corny, right? I don't know. I may play with this one for a long time before I ever write anything. I think it's just a fear that I have. I'm not sure what point of view the story would be written from and I don't have a clue what happens to the characters.

So I'm going to dwell on that for awhile and I think I'm going to clean up the disaster zone around my computer. I figure it would be a good idea to organize all this stats junk before I add another class to the pile. Now that I know the class is over and I passed (yea!), I may just recycle some of this stuff instead of keeping it for future reference.

Oh, I got a belated birthday card tonight from my godmother. She sent me a really pretty chain necklace and this totally cute bookmark!

The bookmark has two little African penguins (aka Black-footed penguins and also aka Jackass penguins (they bray like donkeys)) walking on a shoreline. The picture makes it look like they are holding flippers. The quote says, "Friends, A friend at your side makes the journey easier!" It's really cute. I think she got it from the World Wildlife Fund.

1 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, CarpeDM said...

Cute bookmark. Are you attempting to steal my blahs? No, you didn't use five so it is okay. I didn't realize Donovan had returned, I'll have to check it out. Last night, after Timber Lodge, I went home and went right to bed. Tired Dana.

Anyway, sleep well (since it is almost 9 AM, I'm assuming you are sleeping) and I'll talk to you later.

Oh, I like the idea for the story. You just need to develop it. And I would read it.