Monday, November 29, 2004

Knocking Knees

Tonight was Sunday and of course, karaoke was involved. What else would Dana and I do on Sunday evenings? Twiddle our thumbs?

A couple of weeks ago, hope was renewed when THE BOY gave me a wink and a smile as he was leaving. I tried very hard to not have this little gesture lift my spirits too high and failed miserably, of course.

THE BOY and his friend, Pete, have been coming up to the Chalet every other week and so last week, I was not too disappointed that they made no appearance.

I figured they would show up tonight and so I did absolutely nothing to my appearance. In fact, I went to my dad's beforehand for a belated Thanksgiving dinner, complete with the most awesome turkey ever. My dad has a recipe for a garlic injected turkey. The turkey is moist and potent. And makes me smell like garlic. (If anyone wants the recipe, I'd be happy to post it here.)

Smelling like garlic, I decided to wear no makeup, I wore a turtleneck sweater and barely even ran a brush through my hair. It was an experiment, but I wanted to see what type of reaction I got with no effort.

Usually, THE BOY and Pete show up around 11:00. Dana and I get there around 9:30 each Sunday night. Much to my surprise, they walked in the door about 20 minutes after we did tonight. They walked over to the table next to ours and seeing the extra chairs, Pete asked if they could join us. Of course we said, "Yes." Actually, mine (while I'm staring at THE BOY and not Pete) probably sounded more like, "Yes! I'd love for you to sit by me where I can stare at you for hours on end. Please???" At least my mouth only said, "Yes."

Pete took the chair next to Dana and THE BOY sat down next to me. This is about the time my brain shut off. I was putty.

Our table sat and talked for two and a half hours, listening to singers and singing ourselves. I got compliments from THE BOY after my songs and I gave them back. He's so attractive and nice. We shared customer service stories and the appropriate laughter was given at the punchlines.

I shared the fact I had a new car, mainly because I'm excited, but also because he is a part-time mechanic and cars seemed like a good subject.

He likes football and I shared my realization on Thanksgiving, thoroughly making an idiot out of my self. He laughed at my lack of football knowledge (as I said, I learned something on Thanksgiving and what I learned was that there are players in American football that are not actually supposed to throw or catch the ball).

I act like a moron around men I'm attracted to. I don't understand why. I just don't. But it happens. It's like a switch turns to "off" in my head and I start conversations I think will be intelligent and find the endings lacking. But he smiled and went with it.

For some reason, he didn't run away when I showed the picture still on my digital camera of the petrified fish head (see post below). He laughed at the Thanksgiving story. He showed interest in my explanation of Sheepshead, commenting about the "Sheeps" part of it. He was amused and slightly scared at the "Dana, I'm still not going to give you an enema" statement I made. Why did I say it? Because my brain shut off. That's why.

Was there anything else? Oh yeah. There's more to come here.

As the night progressed, he kept getting closer in his chair. Our knees were bumping and he was leaning in. I swear there were points where our faces were only about 6 inches from each other. I restrained myself (fear of humiliation helps sometimes) from lunging at him.

During the whole enema conversation, he said, "You've got a sick side, don't you? You seem so sweet and innocent, but here's this." I went on to explain that I won't give a friend an enema because of the whole sweet and innocent thing. I must seem like a psychotic.

Even with my loss of conversational skills, it was a good evening. There was lots of laughing, smiling, and happy feelings.

Oh yeah. I guess I should mention the date for next Saturday night.

That's right folks, Beth, the woman who hasn't been on a true date since the blind date when I was 17, has plans to meet up with THE BOY and Pete next Saturday night. Dana is also coming and so it maybe isn't a true date, but it's plans to meet someone I'm attracted to outside of the Chalet for another evening. We're going to play darts and billiards. I told them I'm not good at either of these bar sports. Maybe I should have said, "I'm not terrible, but I'm no expert." That might be a little closer to the truth.

So, I am excited beyond belief because I'm going out with an attractive man on Saturday night after work!!!

8 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, The Lioness said...

Fuck me blind but this is brilliant news!!!!! I can't believe it, babe, well done whatever it was that you did! Bloody hell, can't wait for the Sat update! And if you're going to play pool, think cleavage - v effective I'm told by a girlfriend.

At 2:49 PM, Matt said...

I so second Lioness and her feelings on this! I have to agree with her, fuck me blind this is brillant news! Oh and to let you know Lioness, yes the clevage does work, and it works wonders......
I am so happy for you Little Sister, I really am. Can't wait to hear what is going to happen....let us know all about it. I will talk to you later, maybe some cards tonight, I am not sure. I will let you know
Later,
Matt-Big Brother

At 3:23 PM, The Lioness said...

Er, actually I came back to apologise for language, Beth being a bit more refrained in her cursing - I just got so carried away by the news! So really Beth, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

At 3:28 PM, brooksba said...

Lioness,

Don't worry about it. I don't typically use the language in writing, but I am my mother's daughter in real life. I don't take any offense.

I've been trying to comment on your site and it won't let me. I don't know why. =( I wanted to ask about the All Blacks game. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm wondering what sport they were playing. Was it rugby? The score seemed too high for soccer.

Also, I liked your most recent post, the pictures of the Bushes and Beavis and Butthead. I thought it was funny.

And yes, I'm still thrilled even though I have a splitting headache.

At 3:56 PM, Rev said...

Happy to hear about The Boy.

Yes, it's rugby.

At 5:39 PM, CarpeDM said...

What is the difference between rugby and soccer? I've always wondered.

You should all be jealous of me. I got a contact high sitting across the table from THE BOY and Beth. The "I'm interested in you" vibes were in the air.

At 8:50 PM, The Lioness said...

"What is the difference between rugby and soccer?" *COUGHS UP BIG FURBALL* HOW DARE YOU!!! And thus ends a beautiful friendship.

I'm thoroughly disgusted. RUGBY is gorgeous, honest, full-powered; soccer is for sissies, 22 men chasing a ball w their dainty feet, BLARGH! - alas, I live in Soccerland. That's how the national ego exists - or not. DM, shame on you woman! You're Queen of the Universe for pity's sake, don't do this to me again! And Beth, if a soccer match ever has that result, you can rest assured one of the teams collapsed dead on the field and the other one just kept on playing, will never happen. Sadly, that much I know. Osmosis and all that.

And yes DM, am very much envious of vibe-watching, I wish I could have been there and taken ethological mating notes! *Enter lek now*

At 8:52 PM, The Lioness said...

Oh and it's not 8.50 pm is it. It's bloody 2.50 am is what it is! But at least I'm catching up on you lot.