Saturday, November 13, 2004

Ring, Ring

My cell phone shows two messages and I ponder who has called me while I am trapped in the call center tonight. Is it a long lost friend? Is it the man of my dreams? Is it someone calling to tell me I've won the sweepstakes and I don't have to work anymore?

Or is it my mother?

Tonight, as usual, it is my mom.

I love my mom, I do. I really, really do. I just have to say her messages are, in a word, strange.

Case in point:

Message #1:

Turkey! Hi! It's me. The garage door broke and I know you don't live here anymore and don't use the garage anyway, but I thought you should know. Chip is a good boy. Mac likes tuna. He's the tuna eating cat! [This last phrase is done in a sing song voice.] Taco had poop on his butt. Bye!

My mom knew I was at work. She knew I wouldn't be answering the phone. She planned this message!

Message #2:

Hi! Me again. I know you're at work but I just wanted to tell you I'm grateful I didn't name you Veronica. Bye!

What???

Obviously, the logical part of my thought process is from my dad.

4 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, CarpeDM said...

I'm trying not to laugh out loud because Keem is sleeping & has already yelled at me for typing too loudly. Well, not yelled exactly. Used her disapproving voice.

Anyway, oh, this is so great. I loved it. It does open the question "Why is she glad she didn't name you Veronica?"

Inquiring minds want to know.

At 9:43 AM, The Lioness said...

Your Mum is nothing if not entertaining!

At 9:42 PM, Lala said...

But Veronica is a GREAT name. I once had an imaginary sister and I named her Veronica. Of course she died in a horrific car accident with my other two imaginary siblings, Simon and I can't remember, but I loved her all the same.

Yes, I AM a nutjob.

At 5:55 PM, Firebear said...

I love this! These is the template on how to leave interesting messages on vm.