Monday, November 15, 2004

With a Wink and a Smile

What the ---?!?

I am just getting home from karaoke tonight. The evening was a ton of fun and my head is spinning.

You spin me 'round 'round.

I picked up Dana and headed up to the Chalet. Michael was there and of course joined us. I made him a CD so he could experience a few songs that I happen to have an affliction. I'm hoping he enjoys the Cowboy Mouth, the Barenaked Ladies, and the Bree Sharp tracks. I wanted to give him a taste of the music and hope he goes out and supports these awesome artists.

My big brother made an appearance at the Chalet tonight and we enjoyed his time. It's always great to get together with friends. I love it.

Before I forget (I'm a little random right now with the spinning), the overheard conversation from Perkin's on Friday night:

Three girls talking about their jobs as check-out clerks.
Girl: So this woman comes up to me and puts down a box of Monastat. I asked her how she was doing and the woman replied, "Itchy."

I lost it. That's got to be the funniest thing I've overheard in years!

Back to karaoke. Thought we were straying far, weren't we? No such luck.

So we sang some songs. Dana tried a couple of new songs tonight and I enjoyed her singing ABBA. I stuck to some safer songs and am surprised at how much my knees knocked together while I sang Funkytown. I've sung this before and yet tonight, I was shaking when I was done.

Why? Good question.

Answer: Because THE BOY came in right before I got up to sing and sat at the table near us. He made eye contact again and his friend waved at us. When I got up to sing, he looked me straight in the eyes and held my gaze. He gave a smile and I melted.

The two stayed for a bit, drinking tequila (to-kill-ya) and beer. Then they decided to end the evening early (yeah, early - 1:00 AM - who knew?) and gathered up their coats to battle the chilly Minnesota in November night. His friend stood up and shook both Dana and my hands. He said, "See ya." Then he stood next to THE BOY and THE BOY looked at me. He was standing behind Dana and she was looking the other way. He held my gaze for about twenty seconds and I could see the gears working in his head, almost trying to find the perfect thing to say. It was an odd moment, not unpleasing, but strange.

Then he reached out his hand and took mine to shake it. Still looking in my eyes, he said, "It was great to see you." He accentuated the great and also added a wink and a smile.

Then he left.

I did actually respond before he left, I did say, "It was great to see you too." I added a smile.

Oh yeah, his friend kept doing the elbow nudge as if to say, "Talk to her, you know you want to."

I'm so confused!

For something I thought was over before it began, this small moment brought these thoughts back to the seemingly calm surface of my mind.

On a musically inclined moment, I realized today that I can buy songs on iTunes. I'm going to be broke by the end of the week, but I can purchase CD's without leaving the house!

I bought a ton already.

Favorites so far:

Me and Bobby McGee and Take a Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin.
I love these! I keep listening to them over and over.

Another new CD, but not one I downloaded. My dad gave me, "David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall" today. For those not familiar, David Sedaris reads parts of his stories. He's wonderful. I recommend him to everyone.

Back to karaoke for a moment. I put NO effort into my appearance tonight for karaoke. I wore blue jeans again and my favorite boots (the brown and black ones). The shirt I wore is the 70's style flowery pattern that I swear my mom had as a skirt when I was a kid. I did nothing with my hair except wash it and brush it after it dried. I wore no makeup. When I fixed myself up for Halloween, it was if an invisible shield hide me from sight.

Morale: Don't care what you look like. It goes farther. At least in my case. Who knew?

I guess I should have known since every time I dressed up for clubbing no one ever commented to me directly. A certain person told me that others told him about my outfits, but no one ever tells me. I say, forget dressing up then. Go with what is comfortable (and an amazing bra helps).

3 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, The Lioness said...

I have a new post bcs of this!!!! But it will have to wait.

I'M JUMPING UP AND DOWN, I'M JUMPING UP AND DOWN, I'M JUMPING UP AND DOWN! There's still hope!!! YEY!!!!

Hugs and kisses galore, may they induce others!

At 5:56 PM, Firebear said...

awesome!

At 7:49 AM, CarpeDM said...

This was very interesting. I remember being there & just feeling the romantic tension.

Okay, actually, no, I didn't. I was watching Michael (was it Michael? I think it was) & noticing how THE BOY completely moved around me to get to his objective - you - & didn't say anything to me at all.

I think it was because he wanted to make sure there was more of that impact. It was you that it was great to see. It's very sweet. I think he might be a little shy.