Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Procrastinating

I really, really should be doing homework. I have my final for statistics sitting next to me, taunting me with it's five questions. I could do this. I should do this. Do I do this? No. I blog.

I've been staring at a website for most of the night, watching the different states come in with their election results. The news has declared Ohio going to Bush right now and even if Kerry wins all the remaining states, it will only tie. In that case, the House gets to vote and it is in Republican power.

Let me just say, I'm sad. At least I voted, I made my voice heard and I live in a state that went Democratic yet again (last time Minnesota didn't go for the Democrat was in 1972).

I can say I'm worried, just as I have been for the last four years. It seems the country has spoken and chosen a man for president. It's just not the man I would choose.

I took a test to see where my views matched the candidates. I came up 87% Kerry, 13% Bush. Risking being insulted, I just want to say I don't like Dubya. I don't. He scares me.

I look back on where I was four years ago and where I am today. Four years ago, I voted for Al Gore because I am pro-choice. That's really the reason I voted for him. And I liked where our country was.

What do I see today? I see our country in a war because of personal vendettas. Yes, 9/11 was a tragedy, but that didn't have anything to do with Iraq. Hey, let's go after a country and leader because it was US who gave them the technology and help to create WMD that don't exist. Let's see our young men and women killed "defending" their country. Let's go kill innocent people because, hey, we don't understand what's going on.

It doesn't matter what the reason for the war is. I will honestly say that war is one of the most heart-wretching things I can imagine.

Did the war sway my vote this year? No. It didn't.

Did the fear that Dubya's campaign forced on Americans sway my vote this year? No. Again, it didn't.

I mentioned before that I'm pro-choice. Did the fact that 4 Supreme Court justices may retire during this term and the Roe vs Wade decision could be overturned? No. It actually didn't.

Did the fact our country has gone from a surplus to the largest deficit in history sway my vote? No. It didn't. (Although I really am afraid how we could get out of a 100-year deficit and then top it in just 4 years! Oh, wait, let's wage a war.)

None of those reasons are why I got up and headed to the polls this afternoon. I voted because of one issue close to my heart.

I voted because of the Marriage Protection Amendment. I am thankful this was shot down by both the House and the Senate, but I'm still afraid it will resurface after the election has wound down.

I voted because I believe that ALL HUMANS are created EQUAL. We should all have the same rights.

There are two sites worth checking out. They are:
Million for Marriage
Someone You Know is Gay

I've signed both of these sites.

The issue of gay marriage and homosexuality is one that I cared about even before I knew anyone who was gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transsexual. I care about the issue just as I care about equal rights for all minorities. I care about Human Rights for All Humans.

And watching the results of the election, I am afraid. On so many levels.

That's what I'm feeling tonight.