Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Home Sweet Home

It hit me tonight. After four and 1/2 months, I finally feel at home in my apartment.

This past weekend, I put up some of the artwork I had sitting in the corner collecting dust. I put up four framed items actually. Three of them are Monet prints and they hang on the same wall. On the wall that I see when I open the door, I put a thing my aunt made for me a few Christmases (no clue how to pluralize this) ago. She crocheted my name into a dollie-like thing. Then she matted it and my (former) uncle made a frame for it. The entire thing is handmade and I think of the effort involved to make such a personal gift.

She made three of those items that year, one for me (first name) and two for my cousins with their last names. They are men so that's why they got the last names. Since I'm not married, she felt putting my last name on there wouldn't make it timely. I don't know about that but I like it. And I can't imagine having the space for the ones she made for my cousins. Their last name has 12 letters in it!

It's a good feeling to finally feel settled. Now that I do, I want to actually accomplish a few of the tasks I kept putting off. I still have a few items from unpacking that I have no clue where to put them. I think I need to go through my closet and get rid of a ton of clothing. For a non-girly woman, I have way too many clothes. And shoes! I never had this many shoes in my life! When I was in high school, I owned three pairs of shoes. They were (in order of importance): my tennis shoes, my bowling shoes, and there should be an extremely large gap here, a pair of black heels for dress-up occasions.

I think I have at least 9 pairs of black boots now. That's just black boots. It's crazy! And I don't think I even own a pair of tennis shoes anymore.

Here's another oddity. I don't wear make-up very often. In fact, I usually only wear make-up the same day I buy it. I have a bathroom closet FULL of make-up, most of it used one time. Why? I have no clue. I can honestly say I have never used a tube of lipstick or mascara, an eye-liner pencil, eye shadow, blush, or cover up to the point where it was empty. But I feel strange just throwing it away, unused. Maybe I should just start wearing make-up. But that's a pain. And you can't touch your eyes. I know I shouldn't, but I do end up touching my eyes throughout the day.

One of these days, I'm going to post about what a dweeb I was in high school. There may even be a picture from my senior year with the post.

That's it for tonight. Now onto blogrolling.

Oh, Donovan now has a blog. He's a Republican, but he's a human being too. Check it out: Harleys and Guinness. There's my plug for someone else tonight.

3 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, CarpeDM said...

I'm really glad you're feeling at home. That is very important. I can't wait to see how your place looks now with all the artwork in place.

At 3:02 PM, srmc said...

I think that hanging pictures really do make a place more homey. I am guilty of not putting up pictures although I have tons of frames to do so. I remember putting some framed photos in my hallway and could not believe how excited I got to get that homey feeling. I think I procrastinate putting them up because I know I will eventually move but I usually stay put in one place for many years.

As for shoes.....I used to have a lot but lately I am down to a select few. It may have something to do with have a very very casual work enviroment and never going out at night anymore. :-(

At 10:11 PM, Matt said...

Little Sister,
i am glad to hear that you are at home now, I also cannot wait to see what the place looks like. I also wanted to point how Creed-like of a person you are by giving a "Republican-but a human being" a plug, that was very kind. I will talk to you later, by the way it is almost time for the Queens to come out......
Big Brother