Thursday, November 18, 2004

Calling all techies (aka housekeeping a blog)

For some random reason, I decided to redo some of my template tonight.

Well, actually, there was some prompting about how I linked to someone's site and I felt bad. (I hope the new link is better Lioness.)

I really ought to be studying, but it's so BORING and I figured html was a much more fascinating thing to focus on. That's an odd statement.

So I moved the categories (recurring themes) and other links up the sidebar. They are now right below my profile and above the previous posts section. I figured out how to get rid of the bullet points (yes!) but I'm still confused as how to get rid of the excess space between each link but have it on a new line. I'm pleading for some help to do this.

My constant links have been divided and I added a few. I added DM's other two blogs because I don't read them unless they're on that list. I know me.

I grouped the sites into four categories. The first is the blogs of those I know in real life. The second is the other blogs I have or am a contributor. This will hopefully remind me to work on those more often. (Especially Moron Mouth.) The third is the blogs I have to check out daily. Finally, I have a fourth category which is more to remind me to check these blogs out daily. As I find neat links, I may add them to this category and eventually move them into the "Discovered and Admired" category.

I moved the previous posts (now called Recent Ramblings) and archives (From the Beginning) down the page. I put some "Best of" posts in this box. These are the posts I enjoyed writing the most. Most of them are really long (cause that seems to be my style - who knew?).

I put my counter at the very bottom.

Now I also have another question for the techies out there. How do you do a footer? There is all this information in the template about footers and I want to add something but I don't understand it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Also, Dana - could you show me those cool things like blogrolling, the creative commons license, and the technorati profile? Also, how do I get random blogs? Just wondering. Or anyone else know what all of these are? I like cool new things for the blog!

What are other cool things? How do people add the "recommending" or "listening to" or the "reading" links? Those are neat.

Now off to study!

3 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, CarpeDM said...

I'd be happy to help you with the blogrolling, etc. It's relatively simple. I like the changes that you've made.
Coolness.

At 8:46 AM, The Lioness said...

V cool site! It looks smashing, fab, bril, lovely!!! It really really does, so much easier to find everything! Kol hakavod!

For technoraty go to www.technorati.com and click on appropriate link for creating your own profile (it will also tell you who links to you).

For Creative Commons click on the icon and follow instructions. (If you find any cool trick in some blog that you'd like to have in your own as well clicking on the icon will take you to where you need to go to get it)

Re footer, look for this in your template: <> < /p > Should be close to bottom.

I've added the extra spaces so it won't work as a tag here but basically you need to have the start of the tag which is given by: <> (without spaces) THEN HERE WHATEVER YOU WANT TO HAVE WRITTEN AS A FOOTER and then < / p > (without spaces) so you signal the end of the tag. The "p" woeks for text but the formatting is pretty much the same for other instructions. I can do it with <> < /b > and you'll see bold (I hope this works in comments). If you have any trouble email me what you want to insert there and I'll do it for you.

(I really hadn't noticed you were one of the URL infidels, sorry abt that, didn't mean to make BETH feel bad! Now *I* feel horrible for giving you grief. BAD LIONESS!)

At 8:47 AM, The Lioness said...

Oh, a full stop! I HAVE MY OWN FULL STOP!!! Thanks!!!