Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Halloween Karaoke (and an update to THE BOY)

Note: There are links in this post to pictures. I did not want to overload anyone's browser so they are actually on a different site.

Imagine this conversation, a few weeks ago:

"What should we do for Halloween?"

"Halloween is on a Sunday."

"Oh, then that's decided. We'll go to karaoke. Duh!"

And that is where the evening began.

There were costumes galore (although not everyone was in costume).

Dana came as The Queen of the Universe. Bryan figured out what Dana's costume was right away. Everyone just accepts that she's the queen of the universe. She did have a frog prince named Green Day with her and there will be pictures of him too.

Bryan came as a hungover karaoke host. I guess the huge party was actually Saturday night. That is an under garment on his head.

Keem was a magical sorceress. Doesn't Keem look pretty? I think this is a good picture of Keem!

Matt was insane. What else is new? (Just kidding Matt. But seriously, if you question Matt's sanity, read his blog and there will no longer be a doubt. That man is crazy!)

Big Wayne came as a giant. It's pretty easy when he's known as being 11 feet tall.

Bobby came as a water pouring god. It's better live, but finally, a picture of this wonderful event!

And me? I just wanted to wear my go-go boots so I came as Beth in Go-Go Boots (or a Go-Go dancer, but since I don't really dance, this doesn't work so well). The picture has some red eyes, maybe I was a devil go-go dancer.

There was a slight crisis during the evening when the Coca-Cola ran out. Bobby was my hero when the two-liters showed up.

It wouldn't be karaoke without singing. And there was lots!

Dana and Matt pleased the crowd with a rendition of Summer Nights from Grease. It was a punishment that Keem forced on Dana. Matt just sang along. He's great that way. It's odd to see my father (Dana) and my brother singing a song about making out and dating. If you are confused about Dana being my dad, read this.

Matt also poured his heart and soul into a wonderful song. He sang us lots of songs and I know I've posted this type of picture before, but Matt's passion when he sings, "With a Little Help From My Friends" is worth repeating.

Dana's date sure gets around. The Queen of the Universe brought Green Day, the Frog Prince, as her date to Halloween karaoke. First, Green Day was found dancing with Dana. There was a fight over Green Day's affections and I'm still unsure who won.

The man who does nothing that can be defined as dainty sang a wonderful song. Froggy Love was a huge hit.

We had a wonderful time hanging out together at karaoke, laughing was the norm. Smiles were shared and soda was consumed.

Is that all? Oh, I guess I forgot to add the update about THE BOY. I think I'm just tired of thinking about it.

Where to start?

Okay, I've written about my fear of bugs before. The Wasp, The Bees, and The Cricket. Category to come. Well, I was going to link these stories, but I seem to have no access to July archives. This is bothering me. I'll have to see if I can fix that later.

I hate bugs. They scare me. What does this have to do with karaoke? You'll see.

When we get to karaoke, there is this young woman sitting by herself in the back of the bar. It looked like she was studying or something. Here's the thing. She was there a couple of weeks ago (when THE BOY sang the Kiss song). On that particular Sunday, I had to look at this girl six times before I was sure she was female. I know that sounds mean, but it's true. It's the old cliche, is that a woman or a man? She looks like a bug. Before anything happened at karaoke that night, we were already calling her the Bug Lady. Dana thinks she looks like a praying mantis. I agree.

When the night was getting late, the door opened and the friend of THE BOY walked in with two women. THE BOY was not with the trio. Disappointment started to set in.

One of the women got up to dance to Play That Funky Music, courtesy of Big Wayne. She saw me table dancing (or chair dancing - pick a term for sitting in your chair, getting down to the boogie). She made me get up and dance. Then THE BOY's friend (whom I'm now going to start calling Pete, just so I don't have to type THE BOY's friend anymore) got up to dance with us. He kept looking at me strange. Like he wanted to say something, but didn't know what or how. I gave Dana the "Help me God! eye" and she came up to dance with us. Bryan had this look of fear on his face to see Dana and I actually up and dancing (I don't blame him, we usually mock the dancers).

Why did I get up to dance? Great question. I didn't want to look like a bitch in front of Pete because he might tell THE BOY I was unwilling to dance with his girlfriend. Yes, this is insane.

Dana told me tonight that while we were dancing, Pete told her, "THE BOY (he used the real name of course) won't be up here because I'm an ass." I have no clue what that means.

The song ended and we headed back to our seats. Pete got up a few more times to dance with this girl he brought in and they were definitely an item. So that threw out the theory that Pete was interested in the Bug Lady. (I don't think I explained that. THE BOY and Pete talked with the Bug Lady a couple of weeks ago during the football game. No touching ever happened.)

This post is getting long. Sorry.

So we got Pete making out with the girl and the Bug Lady sitting by herself in the corner. We have our table laughing and singing and just having fun and we also have Beth wearing go-go boots and the bra from hell.

Bryan sits by me and says, "Your lover's friend just came in with women." I smiled at the thought of THE BOY and then thought about asking Bryan when he became a 12-year old boy. Bryan said, "But they don't have those boots." So that made me feel good.

Well, I was convinced THE BOY was going to be karaoke-less another week when all of a sudden the door opened and the man who has been filling my dreams walked in. God, he's cute (at least I think so). I looked over, smiled, and then watched him go over and sit by the Bug Lady.

What the hell happened????

Deep breath.

I got called up to sing and I decided to bring out the big guns (pointless) and sang a lustful song (What Would Happen by Meredith Brooks), hoping it would grab THE BOY's attention, since he isn't touching the Bug Lady, maybe they're just friends. Yeah, I can try to believe that.

What happens while I'm singing about What Would Happen? Pete and THE BOY start a minor tiff and seem to make up because THE BOY and the Bug Lady join Pete's table.

THE BOY does get up to sing and I'm looking right at him and he never even makes eye contact or acknowledges me. It was as if my boots created an invisible shield and he couldn't see me.

On a plus, he did point at Dana and compliment her stars. I think the comment was, "Niiiicccce."

I even tried saying hello and nothing.

So, I think it's over before it ever began. I'm really confused right now.

Oh, Dana did manage to get a couple pictures of THE BOY. Let me know what you think.

I'm still frustrated and now very confused. My hopes are not as high as they were three weeks ago. That's THE BOY update.

I still had a wonderful time at karaoke. It's great each and every single week.

3 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, The Lioness said...

Oof. Shame. I can't understand it. Maybe he's shy???

LOVED the pics. Your boots are S.E.X.Y. I want to have DM's teeth. Can that be done?

At 10:52 AM, CarpeDM said...

Lioness, why would you want my teeth? They are scary and yellow with lots and lots of plague (yes, I know it's plaque but I like typing both words) because dentists hate me.

THE BOY is stupid. Or, otherwise, under a mystical spell that the Bug Woman has cast. Seriously, if I can find bat sonar, I'll bring in a recording of it in next week and we'll play it and her nervous system will go kablooey (Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference - The praying mantis lady that was after Xander). Because, yeah, she sure doesn't have your boots. Or your personality. Or smile. Or charm. Or your friends. So there. Which was really mature but I don't care. Stupid Bug Woman.

At 5:52 AM, The Lioness said...

Well, your teeth look lovely and white from where I'm seeing them. let's wait and see what the boy does. Maybe he'll prove worth it. Maaaaybe.