Monday, October 18, 2004

Cute Boy Update

I'm sitting here trying with all my might to not over-analyze this evening at karaoke.

I have little to add to my list of things I know about THE BOY:

1. Someone at his table likes golf, Dana thinks it might be him. Not watching golf, playing golf.
2. He seems to enjoy football.
3. He also seems to enjoy baseball.
4. He has a cold.
5. He is familiar with a song I couldn't believe he sang - although he sang it well.

Cute boy did not come sit by me this week. The bar was quite busy when we (Dana and I) showed up and we found a spot under the heater (which kept blowing really cold air on me!). Katie and Troy showed up and sat down with us. Then my big brother showed up and sat with us. By the time THE BOY showed up, there was space by us, but not much and he and his friend opted to sit by the giant T.V. and watch the football game.

Imagine the frustrated look on my face.

THE BOY clapped and whooped (I don't know what other word to use) when people from our table sang. I clapped and whooped when he sang. Since there were not many singers at karaoke tonight, I got to hear his two constant songs and then he sang three new songs.

One was another Bob Seger song, "Like a Rock." Now I want to drive a Chevy truck.

He sang another Bon Jovi song, "Bed of Roses." He did well and laughed when his voice cracked due to his cold. I got to smile at him and receive some good smiles back.

The other song he sang is the reason for this post.

I did state already that THE BOY did not sit next to me this evening and I didn't get to talk to him for two and a half hours straight. I can deal with this.

So THE BOY is trying to figure out what to sing. He is on the spot, standing in front of the entire bar and Bryan is looking through the book to find a song.

THE BOY looks at me and then tells Bryan, "Well, all I can think of to sing is Beth."

He sang "Beth" by Kiss.

Note: what are people's thoughts on this song? What do you think of him singing this? Beth [talking to myself] - STOP ANALYZING, HAVE FUN!

I have mixed emotions about this. Beth is a song about a guy who keeps going out with his friends and knows she is sitting home alone. This song usually hits a part of my heart that I try to shelter and I've had some odd comments from fans of this song.

I enjoyed the song tonight. And I was smiling when he chose to sing it.

I didn't tackle him when he walked in (this is good - I don't need to scare him away). I tried to be stronger in conversing with him when he was near. I looked at him when I sang (at least for some glances). I didn't run away.

And now I'll just have to wait until next week to see him again. I can deal with this. He is really cute though and I'm wanting next Sunday to be here already, but I can wait. I can. Keep my head on my shoulders - I'm talking to myself now. Don't over-analyze, there is no reason for it!

In response to the comment from The Lioness about my life schedule. I can answer why I ended up with the night shift and I'm trying to avoid using it as an excuse. There are obstacles to working at night, but they can be overcome.

How did I end up on the night shift? Here's a long story, condensed:

In high school, I went out with this guy who liked to play pool (so do I). He told me that banks pay well so I applied and have been working at NABABNA for over 7 years. We broke up but I still liked the pool hall he introduced me to. I kept going there with other friends and became a regular, hanging out with people who liked the night life. My parents told me they were getting divorced and I needed a change. Since I was going to college at the time and my classes were during the day, I went to the call center to work early evenings. Then I met really great people who worked the night shift (Adam, Dana, Keem, and Matt - Scott never worked nights at the bank when I knew him as a friend). I still went to the pool hall every night after work. Then I got upset with someone at the pool hall (a long story and not a pretty one) and I started hanging out after work with Adam, Keem, and Dana (and sometimes Matt, but that came later). When a job opportunity arose, I became a team lead on the night shift. Now, if I want to be promoted, I have to keep my job and if I went to a daytime team, I would be committing another year to my team lead position. The extra year commitment is not something I want right now and I'm keeping my career options open by staying at night. All of my friends from the night shift switched to daytime hours and I'm just the last one left. It is difficult and I spend a lot of time alone. I don't necessarily like this. There are benefits to the night shift, but there are hard things to deal with. The fact I have worked pretty much every Friday and Saturday night (except for times I took vacation) for the last four years is getting hard to deal with. When an opportunity arises that I want to pursue (there are many factors in the job situation), I will be open to daytime hours and having more social time.

There's a long story that I tried to keep short. I hope it explains how I got into the situation I'm in.

5 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, CarpeDM said...

Ah, you forgot to mention what he said when he said he would sing "Beth" which was "This song has been on my mind." Translation: You have been on his mind.

But never mind me, I get distracted by water. Which hopefully I'll have time to post about or there are going to be some confused people out there. But you know what I mean.

At 1:03 PM, Firebear said...

Did you have fun?It sounds like you had fun. Just wanted to make sure.

At 1:52 PM, brooksba said...

DM,

Is that what he said? Now that I think of it, I'm sure he did. My mind is a flutter. I couldn't remember the exact wording, all I could remember was my thoughts, "Oh my, he's singing a song that is my name. I'm excited and turned out and also confused because this song is evil!" Then there was a long, internal struggle, and I was happy.

Larry,

I did have fun. I always have fun at karaoke. I wish he had sat by me the entire night so I could get to know him, but I still had a wonderful time.

Except when the really drunk woman started talking to Dana. That was really scary. I think DM will do that post.

At 2:04 PM, brooksba said...

Oops,

I meant "on" not "out". Somewhat of a difference here.

At 4:12 PM, The Lioness said...

Dahling, well done! I think the fact he chose "Beth" had little to do w lyrics and loads to do w YOU!!! And "it's been on his mind", uallah! BRIL!!!! Kisses and hugs!