Saturday, October 02, 2004

Blogging withdrawal...

Ah, back to the blogging world. I finally finished up some homework for school and joining the discussions in the classroom. My brain is fried with hypothesis testing junk and I still need to work on the paper due next week, but I have the weekend to complete that. The class moves quickly, but then, it's over quickly. This is a good thing!

When I woke up this morning, I realized it was now October. The year is 75% behind me now. It seems hard to believe. Christmas is right around the corner (and the stabbing of my wallet may soon commence) and the most dreaded thought occurred today. It might SNOW soon. No, no, no, no! I act like this every year, I like snow the first time I see it, and then I get disgusted by it. The roads have heaps of dirty slush around them and fall never lasts long enough.

I love fall. It is my favorite season and October is actually my favorite month of the year. This may have a little to do with my birthday being in the month, but that's a small part of it. October is the month of little kids wearing funny masks and being kids. When I was in grade school, I remember finally settling in each October, getting into the pace of the year. I wasn't sick of school yet and starting to enjoy the social life of being back with everyone.

When I think of Halloween, I think of snow. Yes, most people don't think of snow, but most Minnesotans do when they remember Halloween 1991. This was the year it snowed over two feet on Halloween! It was also the last year I went trick-or-treating. My mom had made my friend and I Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum costumes. We went out in these suits (the large stomachs were made by sewing a hula-hoop into the fabric) and watched as the snow started to accumulate.

The next morning, the phone at our house rang off the hook. Everyone was excited over the anticipated SNOW DAY! I was not overly excited about the snow day, this was because my school already had that day off for teacher conferences. Since I knew I didn't have to go anywhere, I planned on sleeping in. And then everyone my parents worked with decided to call. I showed my wonderful personality in the morning when I finally got up to answer one of the calls. My parents were outside, shoveling, and the ringing was driving me crazy. I wanted to just curl up in my nice, warm, inviting bed and dream of sweet things (the candy from the night before may have been one of them). I got up (bye bye warmth) and picked up the phone.

I guess the guy my mom worked with enjoyed my greeting.

"What do you want?"

I earned a reputation that day.

I hope this October will hold off on the snow and the cold will depart until it is actually winter. Today was harsh. Brrrr!

Here's to a great month!

2 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Matt said...

Lilttle Sister,
Yes I do remember the snow fall that year, it was not fun. Nor was the Thanksgiving snow fall that followed it, however I would not be afather if it was not for that, so some good did come of it all. I also do hate being woken up in the morning by ringing phones, and I also earned a reputation for morning answering when I cussed (and I do mean CUSSED) my mother out, before knowing it was her. Ahh the am calls are a good way to start the day, aren't they?
Matt

At 9:53 AM, CarpeDM said...

I remember that Halloween as well. The former friend (not mentioning his name, afraid of possible meltdown on both yours and Matt's part), his girlfriend and I took the kids to the mall for trick or treat. I remember slogging through the mall, surrounded by children, wondering what the hell I was doing there. I wanted to be dressed up, dang it! I wanted to trick or treat. Not so much for the candy (well, a little bit) but for the fun of pretending to be someone else and the attention...oh, the glorious attention. Look at me! Acknowledge me!

Okay, that just got a little weird. Anyway, snow. It sucks. But believe me when I tell you that these winters lately? These are nothing...why, when I was a kid, we had to walk to school ten miles, uphill, both ways, in blizzards. 10 feet high drifts! Now that's snow. My God, I just channeled my father. Hi, Dad!