Thursday, October 07, 2004

What stunned me today...

I had an interesting thing happen to me at work today. The bankers (pretty much anyone in a call center around the world) are monitored by quality assurance representatives and scored on their abilities to assist customers. The banking world is strictly regulated and releasing information to someone who can't have it can result in a banker failing a call (getting 0%, not just below 50%). This is understandable because the customer and the bank is at risk.

One of the bankers on my team ended up telling a third party that a debit card was closed. The third party was calling in because her brother died and she wanted to make sure his card was closed.

The banker told her, "All of his cards are closed." Unfortunately, this released information about cards she was not supposed to know about.

On a whim (mainly because my manager's manager thought I don't dispute enough of the calls), I decided to make up a far-fetched dispute. I said the banker was talking about multiple issues of the same card number and that it was okay for him to release this information. In NO WAY did I actually believe in this one. I was positive I would receive the dispute back with a note that said, "What are you doing? Smoking crack? He released information to someone he can't release information to. This violates our basic principle of quality control." I would have been fine with it too.

I got to work today, checked my email, and found the reply from the dispute. Remembering that I expected a big fat NO CHANCE, stop wasting our time, imagine my surprise to find, "We are not allowed to release that information. There was not harm in this situation though. Credit granted."

They actually changed the 0% to a 100% call! This should not have happened, but I'm not going to tell them.

So my dispute record remains at 100%. I think I do need to dispute more calls. We need better quality assurance representatives.

3 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, CarpeDM said...

Whoa. I cannot believe you got those points back. That is amazing.

I want my email set up now so I can find out what is going on, did we get the points back for all of my disputes? I need to know! What is going on with Decision '04 (lead wise, not election)?

I miss you guys horribly. I am pleased to report that I did get to set up my voicemail today so if you wanted to call me, I could listen to the message. And possibly cry since I miss you all.

At 2:17 PM, brooksba said...

Dana,I miss you lots and lots! Everyone does.

Decision '04 may have news, but I don't know it. About the lead position, people may be speculating but no one has heard anything yet. I'm sure Mike F knows more than the rest of us though.

The other major decision at work is still in speculation stage. I want to know who's going to be the new supervisor's manager.

We need a code for Friday nights now too. Maybe, "Can the queens come out to play?" What do you think? And Matt wants to know, we're on for Friday right? I want to know too.

I MISS YOU!!!

At 2:43 PM, CarpeDM said...

I like "Can the queens come out to play?" except that it would confuse me because, as far as I am concerned, I am the only Queen around. Dang it.

Yes, we are still on for Friday. As far as Keem knows.