Saturday, October 09, 2004

Another post about my mom

This is not the funniest thing my mom has ever done, it's just interesting and cute.

My mom is amazing with the animals she has at her house. She takes care of my two dogs (Taco - 17 and Chip - 12) and the cat (Mac - I don't know how old - Dana do you remember? Oh wait, Dana remember? This is a tough request). Taco is getting older and his eye sight is not as good as it once was. During the night, he won't walk down a set of stairs anymore. He still moves around well, he just can't see very well. My mom will get up in the middle of the night and carry him outside. This is a true definition of love.

My mom has been telling a story to all those she knows about the "pecking order" at the house. We used to have a cement block with no railing to get into the front door. When we first moved into the house, we were trying to get inside. My grandparents were there and I got pushed off the steps. I landed quite hard on the ground, smacking the right side of my body (including my skull) on the cement. This HURT! I was angry because I was pushed off the steps by my grandmother (I'm sure she didn't do it intentionally, I was still mad though) and I was crying because I was in tremendous pain.

When she tells this story, she tweaks her response to my pain and tells people she told me, "Nothing's broken."

Taco fell off these steps last summer. He didn't hit the cement, he just landed on the plant in the flower bed next to the steps. I'm sure it hurt him and I'm glad he's okay. What did Mom do? She hired a contractor to rip the cement slab out and built a porch with a railing on the front of the house. She tells people that the fact the dog fell of the porch made her do this but when her ONLY human child (yes, she considers the pets her children - she's a little strange but I love her) fell, she told me to suck it up. She finishes her story up with, "See, I love the dog more! He's the most important one. Obviously."

My mom called me today and left a message saying, "I was hoping to catch you. I want to talk to you about something. Please call me sometime soon. I hope to talk to you. It's important."

Now, my first thought when I hear this is, "Oh my god, someone is sick or dying!" I call her instantly.

What does she say to me? This is what she said to me, "You know I love you more than the dog right? Maybe just a little, but I do love you. If you had to be carried from the bed to the bathroom, I would do that."

I actually had to reassure her that I'm not worried about being ignored because the dog wants attention. This took ten minutes of convincing her that it's okay with me for her to take care of Taco. I love him very much and I want him to have the best. She gives it to him. If I needed help, I have no doubt she'd be there.

She's a little strange, but her heart is in the right place.

4 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Matt said...

Paretns bestrange and have their hearts in the right place? That is usually what happens isn't it? This was a wonderful post Beth. I do think that your Mom must have really thought about what she had said and felt bad to have called you up and apologized for it. I know that I have had my shares of apologizing to my kids for the things that I have done to them, and probally will over the next years or so. Have a good day, I will talk to you later.
Big Brother

At 3:00 PM, CarpeDM said...

Interesting story. Mac is maybe 9 or 10 years old. I got him right before I started working for NABABNA.

At 8:00 PM, brooksba said...

Dana,

You started at NABABNA almost 5 years ago. Do you mean the dark side bank?

At 8:14 AM, CarpeDM said...

Yes, yes, I did. Silly Dana.