Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Obsessing, yes, I'm obsessing, but this isn't too bad

Okay, forgive me. I'm going insane. I didn't go to work today because I slept like crap last night and felt horrible.

So, I've been sitting here, alone, ALL DAY LONG and I don't normally go to bed for another three hours. Since I finally threw my stats book across the room in triumphed, I am now faced with what to do.

I can't go out, it's too late for that and I didn't go to work. I don't feel well enough to go out.

I have to stay in. But I have more energy than just sitting, eating chicken soup (which I don't even have - wait, oh! I have chicken soup? This is awesome!), and watching movies.

I turned on the TV for an hour earlier. I watched Conan O'Brien and then turned the TV back off. Yep, that's it. I can't handle too much TV, it bothers me.

I've listened to the same three CDs about 15 times each this weekend. I love itunes. I just let it play and play! And then I start back at the top (the CD's are in alphabetical order) and listen to the three I want to hear again and again.

So Dana asked me awhile ago to break down a certain song, and this was before this past Sunday that she asked me to do this.

Well, the events of Sunday changed my mind about the lyrics and I'm not sure what I think of that.

Here's the lyrics of "Beth" by Kiss:

Beth, I hear you callin'
But I can't come home right now
Me and the boys are playin'
And we just can't find the sound

Just a few more hours
And I'll be right home to you
I think I hear them callin'
Oh, Beth, what can I do?
Beth, what can I do?

You say you feel so empty
That our house just ain't a home
And I'm always somewhere else
And you're always there alone

Just a few more hours
And I'll be right home to you
I think I hear them callin'
Oh, Beth, what can I do?
Beth, what can I do?

Beth, I know you're lonely
And I hope you'll be alright
'Cause me and the boys will be playin'
All night

Okay, now my opinions (changing opinions) of the song.

This is a song about a guy who ditches his girlfriend/wife to go out with "the boys". Now, in different context, this song has very different meanings.

When some people sing this song or quote this song to me, I have always gotten the impression that the girl didn't matter, she could just sit at home, bored (and probably blogging and doing schoolwork!) and the guy didn't care. This song actually caused feelings of anger in me once. No, I won't explain that.

I have had people call me at work and quote parts of the song. The worst was the guy who called the helpdesk and would say to me EVERY time, "Beth, I hear you calling." I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him. If you're going to be clever, then BE CLEVER! The one guy who used to say, "Beth, what can I do?" was much better at it. I wanted to respond, "You called ME. I'm not calling you. Get it right!"

Okay, enough of the angry train.

Last Sunday, I didn't jump for joy because of the lyrics, but I started to appreciate them. Okay, who couldn't appreciate an extremely attractive person telling a bar full of people that he has had a song on his mind while looking into my eyes and that song is my namesake? How could I NOT appreciate the song?

In looking at the lyrics tonight and thinking of a different person singing them than previous experiences and I started to rethink the song.

It's (forgive me, I can't believe I'm saying this) actually kind of sweet. The guy is torn because he has prior obligations, but at least he realizes what he's missing at home! He wants to be there with her but he has to play with "the boys". And looking at the fact this is a song and written by a guy whose job is to "play", he's just saying he has to create wonderful things (okay, still not an overly large KISS fan - wonderful may be the wrong word there) to keep up a living. He has a work ethic. That's admirable.

I guess.

Whatever. So the overall point, I liked it when THE BOY sang the song. I found new meaning in it (and his eyes, oh, those eyes - and his smile, he's so innocent and bad boy looking at the same time). I wouldn't hate it if he sang it again.

I might hate it if anyone else sings it though and makes me feel like I'm worthless. Whoa, angry train back. Stop this!

1 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, CarpeDM said...

Are you still not feeling well? I'm sorry. I am sending you an order! Feel better now. I do not like it when you're sick. But I will not suggest you go to the doctor because that would be bossy and I am never ever bossy.

I was thinking about this song recently and was wondering the same thing about it. If you look at it from the singer's point of view, he could be telling her "Beth, I really like you a lot and want to be with you but gosh darn it, these stupid boys are making me continue to work with them. I have a work ethic." Yeah, I stole the work ethic part from you but everything else I was thinking.

Anyway, feel better. Talk to you later.