Sunday, October 03, 2004

One Year Later...

One year ago, my little brother met his love, his partner, and his reason to smile constantly. This post is in honor of Adam and Rich's one year anniversary.

Happy Twelve Months of Happiness!

Also one year ago, Dana became an aunt! Josh is her nephew and he's adorable.

To Josh:

Happy Year of Firsts!

New Year's is typically a time when people sit back and think about the past year and where they are headed. I want to be different. (Like that's so hard)

Here is October 3, 2003 - October 3, 2004 in review:

October 2003:

Josh is born! Dana starts to like at least one child!

Adam meets Rich! He is happy ALL THE TIME! Rich becomes a fixture at our old apartment. I get to know Rich. This is fun!

I started my first stats class online. This was not fun.

Adam and I have a party called, "Adam and Beth's Autumn Bash" and I embarrass myself beyond belief. There may be a post about this one someday, I'm still licking my wounds.

I turn 1/4 a century old. That hurt but the evening of karaoke was awesome! I also had to get a new license. Bye bye $18.50 and the horrible picture where I thought I should wear glasses I didn't need. The story of my dorky days of high school will probably surface soon.

I visited the old pool hall I used to be a regular at. I remembered why I liked it but also why I strayed away.

November 2003:

I take a day off work to see the 3rd Matrix movie. I am severely disappointed.

More karaoke! This is a recurring theme. Pay attention.

Matt and I play cards a lot!

I scrapbook with Dana, Keem, and also old friends from the pool hall. This was the last time I actually hung out with the pool hall group.

I attended training for work. I learned about managing people to peak performance. Mostly, I figured out delegating stuff is a good thing for sanity.

December 2003:

As Christmas approaches, I go to a karaoke party with Matt and Dana. We have a WONDERFUL time. None of us drink. Matt and I learned enough from the October party.

I went to the 90's with Adam. This is the last time I went clubbing. This is sad.

I saw my grandparents. The yearly obligation kicked in.

I spent Christmas Eve at home with Adam and Rich. It was sweet to see them happy to be sharing the holiday season together.

More training through work about using politically correct (and much longer) descriptions to tell people they are doing well or they suck.

New Year's Eve was the cause of a party at my mom's. I watched as her boyfriend set off fireworks in the backyard (cool, yes illegal, but COOL!) and ignored the smell of the wacky tobacco coming from downstairs. I had fun meeting my mom's boyfriend's family. They are nice people.

Christmas Day (yes, these are completely out of order) consisted of opening presents at my mom's with her, Scott (her boyfriend, not the same Scott that Matt is with), my dad, and the pets, Taco, Chip, and Mac. We put a hat on Mac and he was pissed. Cats don't seem to like Santa hats.

January 2004:

New Year's Eve, after midnight: I went to play pool with my big brother, Matt. He accidentally took a picture of my boobs. Before we went to play pool, Matt looked at scrapbook pages I made of when I was a baby (for an upcoming album for a parent). The next day he told Scott about his evening. "I saw pictures of Beth naked and then took a picture of her tits." This caused Scott a moment of panic. Matt got to keep his testicles when he explained.

I went to a basketball game for work. Our team won a contest and I got paid to watch the Timberwolves play the Lakers.

More karaoke. Lots of it.

More scrapbooking. This never ends.

Tons of card playing with Matt. This becomes more and more prevalent. We have a great time.

The second annual Sheepsheadian gift exchange takes place. We all exchange gifts after Christmas (time constraints and money constraints have much to do with the delayed date). Matt, Dana, and Keem come over to Adam's and my place. We take over 100 pictures. Yes, we are true scrapbookers.

Dana and I went to Matt's daughter's first band concert. Alli plays the flute. It was a ton of fun. I especially liked Riley's self-portrait when he played with my digital camera. I didn't know you could get that close to a 5-year old's nose.

February 2004:

More karaoke! There seems to be karaoke on every other page of my scrapbooks.

My dad goes on his annual golf trip to Florida and I stay at his house. Keem and Dana come over for movies and scrapbooking. I watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly for the first time. I start to love Clint Eastwood. He may be old, but the man is HOT! The icicles on my dad's house fall off while I'm sleeping and I freak out. I search his house from top to bottom and then back to top before I realize no one is trying to kill me, it's just ice.

Adam invites Keem, Dana, Matt, and Scott over for a dinner party so we can all meet Rich. It took him over four months to do this. We play Uno. There are no friends in Uno. I feel sorry for Adam because he is sitting between Rich and I and he doesn't really want to play evilly towards either of us. He is faced with the decision of making his boyfriend draw four or make me draw four. On one hand, he may not ever get special time with Rich again or I may drive him crazy living with me. I think I got to drive him crazy living with me.

March 2003:

Dana, Rich, and Adam all have birthdays!

Dana and I go to karaoke a lot. (Surprise! Telegram! - Does anyone out there remember Mad Movies on Showtime? They used to dub over the soundtracks of old movies and change the story lines. I remember the episode where they turned Night of the Living Dead into a surprise party. The one zombie kept saying, "Telegram" in this completely monotone voice. I still laugh this day. I'm sure I saw this when I was about 6.)

Dana and I go to Las Vegas. We have the coolest vacation ever. Neither of us drink a drop of alcohol in Sin City. The server at the buffet (which was WAY over-priced) asks me what I want to drink. I ask for Coke. No Coke. I ask for Dr. Pepper. No Dr. Pepper. I ask what they do have. He tells me rootbeer. I accept this. He brings me rootbeer and says to me, "Rootbeer? Your favorite?" He is serious. He honestly thinks I would ask for my favorite drink only after he tells me they have it and I've exhausted other possibilities.

Dana and I see Barenaked Ladies in concert. The show is amazing! I cried hard during the last song, "Break Your Heart." Tears did not just come from my eyes one by one but water actually flowed down my cheeks.

The second annual Sheepsheadian excursion to see a Gilbert and Sullivan light opera took place. We went to see Iolanthe and then to Olive Garden. Rich joined Dana, Keem, Adam, and I this year.

I took Adam's birthday off of work and we went to a movie, dinner, and then to a different gay bar. I guess December wasn't the last time I went clubbing. It was on Adam's birthday. This is still sad.

April 2004:

My mom turned the dreaded 1/2 century old. I payback all the 1/4 of a century comments she made in October.

My dog, Taco, turns 17 and has a good birthday. He got meatloaf. When you're a dog, this is pretty much a good day. He also got held and his tummy scratched.

I played more cards with Matt. I'm sure this also happened in March.

Matt and Scott celebrate one year together. I think this is wonderful.

Scott has his birthday and didn't plan any events. I still want to celebrate. Should the Sheepsheadians have a 1/2 birthday party for him this month?

May 2004:

The only things on my calendar are karaoke and playing cards with Matt.

Matt had his birthday this month too. We went to karaoke.

I think I went to a movie with Keem and Dana.

Oh wait! Here's a good one: Dana discovers blogging!

June 2004:

Dana shows me blogging!

Matt and Scott move in together. I help move and only Matt saw me wince in pain. The sun tried to burn my skin from my body. I ponder if I'm really a vampire but I just don't drink blood.

Adam and Rich move out into their new apartment. I realized how empty the apartment felt.

I moved out and into my new apartment. This apartment doesn't feel so empty, probably because it is a one bedroom and I have too much crap.

The Sheepsheadians plan a move night for ALL of us. I go to Spider-man 2 with Dana, Keem, Adam, and Rich. Matt and Scott are unable to make the movie. I cry.

July 2004:

I keep settling into my new apartment. Dana comes over for the weekend and we see lots of movies, scrapbook, unpack, and go to (where else) karaoke!

I get a new manager at work.

More card playing and more karaoke.

My team won another sales contest at work and I got to go on a boat ride on the St. Croix. This was fun. The picture on my profile is from this day.

The Sheepsheadians (this core group of Dana, Keem, and Matt) start a tradition of going to the all-night restaurant for cards each Thursday night. We are now switching to Fridays. This will be better for Keem and Dana (new schedule at work), also for Matt (doesn't have to get up the next morning). Adam and Rich may join us sometimes too. Adam is interested in joining the group for more Sheepshead again.

I went to a movie with Scott. I got special Scott time. I feel happy. Scott must do things with me more often! Pleeee-asssssseeee! I like Scott. He is awesome. And he smells good. Sorry Matt, I'm sure you know this.

August 2004:

I got a new computer. I can actually go online again.

I play cards with Matt a lot.

Karaoke is a typical Sunday night again.

I discovered IHOP. My pants don't fit for three weeks.

Adam and I went to dinner mid-month.

My dad turned 55! I wish him happy birthday!

September 2004:

Lots of playing cards. I mean lots.

Lots of karaoke. This happens every week.

More IHOP. Eke!

I go to the Zoo with Keem and Dana! We finally give into Dana's pleas (she's been asking since November of 2002). It was a ton of fun.

My dog, Chip, turns 12. He has a birthday party. He gets a hamburger. I visit to scratch his tummy. He is a happy dog. We also go for a walk in the woods. I exercised. Scary, isn't it?

Matt, Dana, and I go to the Melissa Etheridge concert. It rocks. I'm still on a natural high from it.

Keem has a birthday and we go to dinner and the stamping store. This was a fun day.

Keem and Dana have their last day at our call center. I cry. No more seeing them three hours a week at work.

The final installment of The Dark Tower series comes out. I read it in a day. I am still upset.

October 2004 (so far):

I paid rent.

I wrote this post.



Some things are more important than others and I see how this last year had some big events and lots of small evenings to fill in the gaps. I think the small evenings of being with friends (my chosen family) and learning along the way were the best part. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

If you made it this far in the list of my last year, I apologize for a pretty boring post. I guess I could have just said, "I play cards and go to karaoke." But then, it's the memories made during those times that fill my heart with joy.

4 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Matt said...

I also enjoyed all of the times that we have had during the past year, and I would not trade a single minute of extra sleep that I could have gotten for them. I enjoy going out with you and everyone else, where else could I have heard the Cartman rendition "Jealous Guy" from John Lennon? I will see you later tonihgt, because as it sits now, the owl is flying at midnight.
matt

At 9:01 PM, CarpeDM said...

What a great year! The best part, to me, anyway, is the playing cards and karaoke. We should do that all the time. Oh, wait, yeah, we do.

You know, others may not think we have much of a life but I don't care. I wouldn't trade these memories for anything. Where else could we do a red shirt experiment if not for karaoke?

I look forward to October 3, 2004 - October 3, 2005. It'll be great.

At 12:51 AM, rod said...

happy one year memories everyone!
Karaoke! Friends and I drove to Charlotte Friday night for our bi-annual King's X concert - slash - Razzoo's dinner. Though it is usually 4-8 guys, girls are welcome. Sometimes a wife will tag along. She is probably designated by all the wives who want to keep an eye on us but don't want to hear King's X and eat at Razzoo's. Anyway, none of that mattered one bit. Friday was Karaoke night at Razzoo's. We were there for dinner for about 90 minutes. During that time only two different people sang (though many times each), a thirty-something rednecky guy with a deadringer Willie Nelson voice, who sang Willie Nelson Songs every time; and a kid, no more than 6 years old, who sang classic rock songs from my HS days. He sang Steve Miller, Heart, AC/DC, etc. He was singing as we were leaving and I said to my friends, "I bet his dad wears a mullet."
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I thought of you and your wild and crazy karaoke friends on Friday night in Charlotte. And I thought I might make a little request. Next time you guys go out and karaoke, could you think of me and sing either "Photograph" by Def Leperd, or "Stroke" by Billy Squier? Please? Send me a pic of whoever does it?

At 10:16 AM, CarpeDM said...

If Bryan has Stroke, I will sing it. I have memories of roller-skating to that song. I also have memories of falling horribly and the cute guy in charge of the roller-skating teenagers coming to help me and look at my leg to make sure I didn't hurt it horribly and I was extremely glad I had shaved my legs that day.

Ah, to be 13 (14? 15?) and in lust. Those were the days.