Saturday, October 09, 2004

Study Break

AHHHH!

Why did I decide my Saturday night would be my primary study night this week? What was I thinking?!?!?!?!?

When I left work tonight, I told a banker, "Great! The weekend, no more banking thoughts until Tuesday." Yeah, right.

I got home, logged into class to post my first problem for the week. The problems are like story problems. I had to figure out if men had the same opinion of this mystical car that the women had. Here's the weird thing about stats. 2 can equal 3. I think this is where I struggle the most with statistics. 2 DOESN'T equal 3!!! But if the sampling error is more than 1, 2 MIGHT equal 3. I'm starting to hate statistics again. I like the math stuff - I can plug the figures into formulas and come up with an answer. I get that. I just don't get what the answer means. Okay, enough about that story problem.

The next assignment I had to do was a simulation to see if a bank should use retina scans to identify customers. Except it wasn't that simple. It had to do with this fictional bank making merchants buy systems to give retinal scans to customers. This went against all of my sense of value and common sense. This simulation made you pick answers throughout to see what you thought. And when you thought differently than the simulation, it told you that you are wrong. How can it tell my that my OPINION is wrong?!? It MAKES you pick that retinal scans are the favored option of all customers in the world. I hated this exercise.

I am now taking a break before I delete my entire school files in anger. That would not be good. No, not good. But if I did a statistical test, would good = bad? I mean, the sampling error could show that I couldn't actually accept something was bad... AHHHH!

My learning group decided that since I work at NABABNA, they wanted to write two papers about bankers selling stuff. So I'm actually writing reports about what I do at work. It makes it a little easier for me, but then I never really get away from work.

Banking is taking over my brain. I'm going to drink a Coke, dance a little dance to some Cowboy Mouth (yes, alone in my apartment, I'm a dork, it's okay), clear my mind, and then start back in with the banking. If my head explodes, I wonder who would discover me first...

2 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Matt said...

Dancing alone to some music by yourslef does not make you a dork, when you sit in a chair and pretend to be playing the drums along with the song, or if you pretend that you have a microphone in your hand and you are on stage in front of millions, that is when you are a dork, and that is what I am when I need to break up the stress. I am starting to not like stats as well, since it is making my little sister go mental. I do have a thought for you however, in the stat world if good = bad, what would damnit be? One more thought before I go, you have discovered a very good stats problem to figure out however. Here it is, based on all of your friends, who would, statisically speaking, be the first and the last person to discover you if your head did explode?

I will tlak to you later little sister, hang in there, remember, all of this brain bashing is a step towards the final goal. To paraphrase Stephen King (that bastard) "The degree is closer."

Big Brother

At 8:30 AM, CarpeDM said...

Yep, this is why I like Nora Roberts. I don't refer to her as that bitch.

Statistics = yuck. But would that mean that I might like them? And, just between you and me, I've watched both Demolition Man and Minority Report. Eyes can be removed from their sockets and be used for retinal scans. Of course, I'm hoping that the tellers might notice if the customer is holding up the eyeballs instead of using the normal retinal scan process.

Okay, this is a weird image. I'm going now.