Friday, October 08, 2004

Is this just a Midwest thing?

I noticed something at work a couple of months ago and it came back to me tonight as I watched the news. The concept didn't strike me at the time I originally heard this conversation, but tonight I wondered if this was a part of the culture of the Midwest, or if this is common around the country.

Some of the people at work were talking about an anchorman on the local station transferring to a different part of the country. I heard a couple of the people talk about this newscaster as if they knew the man personally. None of them had ever met him.

They talked about his family. They mentioned his kind personality. They spoke about how his culture would be tested by moving from Minnesota to California. They mentioned that they would miss him on the news. People were saddened by the fact he was leaving.

Newscasters are considered celebrities around here but they are also considered part of the family. There is no distance from the reporters and the viewers of the news. The people on the local stations are seen as real people. People care if a newscaster gets sick. People care if a reporter has a baby or gets married. People actually LIKE the people reporting the news.

This is a good thing. It is heartwarming and looking at it instead of taking it for full value with only a quick look makes me think there are good people out there. I like this.

I'm curious though if this is just a Minnesota/Midwestern thing. Do the people in [insert place] feel like the person telling the news is just a resource or do they see the person as another working adult? Do they see the anchorman/woman as a friend sharing a story? I just wonder. That's all.

3 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, CarpeDM said...

Wait. Who is leaving?

I remember sitting at Benjamin's one day (downtown restaurant) and some guy was there with his perfect blond wife and his perfect blond daughters. The waitress asked him for an autograph. To this day, I have no clue who he is except that he also had perfect teeth so I'm thinking he was an anchorman.

I don't know if it's just a Midwest thing. I know I've read a few books where there is a lot of love given to anchorwomen but then they end up being kidnapped and held by crazy men who have fallen in love with them. Which probably isn't a good thing when you think about it.

At 9:18 AM, Firebear said...

i don't beleave this is a midwest thing. it must come from the "inviting him into your home every night" thing. I used to live next door to a news anchor, he was a geek, but very loved in the community. Geeks need love too!

i did see the zombie phone commercial last night. Cute girl.

At 2:26 PM, brooksba said...

Dana -

No one is leaving right now. This happened a few months ago. It might have even been last fall. It was when Paul Majers (Majors?) was leaving KARE-11. I heard Kelly talking about it and you know Kelly talks. It sounded like he knew everything about the news and the newscaster. I just thought it was sweet.

Larry -

It's good to see this happens around the country. I hope no one starts stalking these people (although I know it happens), but it's nice to see them respected.