Sunday, November 14, 2004

Reminiscing

Tonight at work, I got to thinking about people who have moved on from our call center. Dana and Keem are now in a different area of NABABNA. Matt is working for the clinic now. Scott left to go to a branch awhile ago and now doesn't work for NABABNA anymore. Of the original circle, I am left at the call center with Adam and we are in different departments so I rarely see him.

I thought about those I didn't know where they went. We have a resource to look up an employee's name and see which department they are in. Sometimes, I look up those old friends to see if they've been promoted or if they're still doing the same old, same old greater thing they left the call center for.

And then sometimes I'm surprised.

A few months ago, I looked up a guy that I worked with every single Saturday night and laughed with and talked with and took breaks with and just enjoyed as a co-worker. He was a guy I could rely on to get the job done and I considered him a real friend. When I looked him up, trying to get his email address and send a hello, I no longer found his name in the database. He now is classified as, "He no longer works for NABABNA." I have no idea if he left on his own or if other circumstances were the cause of his different employment status, but I know he's gone from the company. It makes me sad.

Tonight, I wondered about another person, just because I was thinking of old breaks with the person in the above paragraph and this guy. I looked up his name and it is no longer in the database.

For those who know whom I'm speaking of, that's right, the pretty-to-look-at, player, funny, and just dang sexy boy no longer works for NABABNA.

After a night of a bad party and booze (which I don't touch because of that evening), my friendship with this boy drifted apart and that's okay, but I still liked his company and I enjoyed having him as a friend. And now he's no longer at NABABNA and I'll probably never talk to him again (not like I had major plans to talk to him).

I'm not really sad but I'm reflecting on old times and happy moments at my job. I wonder how many others I'll meet and know and drift away from as my time with NABABNA progresses. Who else will be a name from the past?

We have about 150 employees at our call center and if I look back to who was on the night/overnight shift from when I started I think there's only a handful left. It's only been 4 1/2 years and the number of names on the list of "no longer works for NABABNA" is almost full. Of the overnight shift (which I wasn't part of but knew most of those employees and they all started about the same time I did), there are three people left. Two are still in the same position that they started in and I'm their team lead. The other is Adam and he's in a different department.

From my training class, I am the only one left and I've been the only one for about 4 years.

I can think of four other people that I know worked for the call center before I started there that are still in their original positions. Three of the helpdesk people were there before I started. 1/2 of the management staff is newer than I am to the call center.

So at 26, am I considered an old-timer? I just wonder if I've become too comfortable in my job and too afraid to move on. Who knows? Only time will tell what happens and I'm just remembering some old, fun faces. That's all.

And I had to share that the boy who was fun to make out with but not relationship material is no longer at NABABNA. I found it interesting.

1 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, CarpeDM said...

Yeah, he was real pretty. I know I kind of miss him.

In a "God, he's hot" sort of way. Other than that, I don't really think of him that much.

Which, in itself, is kind of sad.