Friday, November 12, 2004

Second post of the evening - comments solicited

Quotes

I found some interesting quotes recently and I wanted to share them. I don't agree with all of them, I am posting them without the person for a reason. I'd like to know which quotes people identify with. Comments are more than welcome. If you know who said each quote, please feel free to email them to me separately. Thank you.

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.

Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.

America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense human rights invented America.

You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans.

The white, the Hispanic, the black, the Arab, the Jew, the woman, the Native American, the small farmer, the businessperson, the environmentalist, the peace activist, the young, the old, the lesbian, the gay and the disabled make up the American quilt.

The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one.

Delay is preferable to error.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Words build bridges into unexplored regions.

The final thought: Does the person saying it make it more or less powerful? Would that change your opinion of any of these quotes?

The authors (speakers) will be added in one week.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, CarpeDM said...

I particularly like the one about America & human rights, the American quilt, this one "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up" and "Words build bridges into unexplored regions."

I have no clue who said them so I don't know if it would make it more powerful or not. I suppose if one of these quotes that I like was by Hitler then I wouldn't be so thrilled. But then again, I really can't see Hitler wanting to help people.

At 8:24 PM, Matt said...

I liked the quotes quite a bit you know. I really did like the fact that you were able to find a quote that summarizes, in a small way, what the blogger world is all about. (Word build bridges into unexplored regions) If not for words we all would not have discovered such a unique, and fascinating way, of meeting new people. I also liked the quote about the "American quilt", that is very good, and should be used more where the mass public could see it. (i.e. commercials, billboards, etc.) I also enjoyed the crazy quote, because, as you and anyone that has read my blog can see for themselves, I am crazy. And the speaker of that quote is correct, it used to be a big deal, but it really is not anymore.
I will see you later Little Sister,
Big Brother