Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Crap Day

Tuesdays are my Mondays. I have an odd schedule (can you believe I've willingly worked most Friday and Saturday nights for the last 5 years) and I have Mondays off. Because of my so-called weekends, Tuesdays always feel like what others refer to as Monday. Except I get to work to deal with those who are already approaching the middle of their week before I even get to my desk.

It gets slightly annoying.

It may not be quite as annoying as those who approach me on Thursdays as I am walking in the door to say, "Have a great weekend!" That's like telling someone on their Wednesday morning to start thinking about the weekend.

But I do like my schedule (some of it). I am a night owl and being able to stay up late is a benefit for me. The 10% increase in salary also has it's allure.

I am side-tracked. I meant to say that I had a crap day at work tonight. The overall evening was not so terrible, it was mainly one small thing that just depressed the heck out of me. I think I'm pre-menstrual. I found myself crying twice last night and getting pissed off at things I really have no control over, yet I still paced back and forth, swearing under my breath. Ug.

One of the bankers on our team is one of the sweetest people I've ever met. She tries exceptionally hard at doing her job and she tries to be a top performer. And she keeps making these small mistakes which our quality assurance team focuses on and hounds her beyond belief.

I am starting to wonder if the quality assurance team is discriminating against her because she speaks with an accent. And THAT pisses me off more than anything else.

The QA team failed her on a call where she called a "credit line" a "loan". She even corrected herself after saying it. The thing is, a credit line is just a revolving loan. It's not like we're talking apples and oranges here. We're talking about Granny Smith apples and Red Delicious apples. For the love of God people. Get a life. (I'm vanting at the QA monitors here, not you, you adoring members of the blogosphere community.)

They failed her for suggesting to a customer they try to get a credit product to help them with the fact they are tight for bills. We're in BANKING. We sell stuff. This is the PRIMARY function of her job. And they failed her for it. She didn't violate any federal regulations, they are just picking on her.

They failed her on another call because she slipped up and told someone the wrong date. For other bankers (read: those without accents), this is a two point deduction. For her, it's a failure of the call. This is really starting to piss me off. And this one I can't dispute because technically, she did give the wrong date. But I'm just upset that fair treatment is not being given.

So when a banker walks up to me and says, "The QA team is out to get me," how do I defend them?

Thanks for reading my vant. I guess I just needed to get some of this out before I see her at work tomorrow and burst into tears because she's being picked on and I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. I'm supposed to be the one who fights the battles for the bankers. I'm supposed to make sure they are given the opportunities to do their job to the best of their ability. How do I fight this? How do I make it better? I guess I'm not expecting an answer, I'm just frustrated.

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, CarpeDM thought...

God, that sucks. Remember when QA said they didn't want to have an adversarial relationship with us and we laughed and laughed because we knew they were lying through their teeth?

I hate them. And they should not fail her for correcting herself. That is crap. They are evil, evil bastards and I want to smite them!

I think you should talk to someone about this. It doesn't seem right that this continues to happen and it's over such trivial things.

I hope today is better.

At 8:05 PM, Wandering Coyote thought...

The QA sounds quite big brother-ish. QA probably has nothing to do with assuring any quality; my guess it's a means of power and control over the employees and does nothing but intimidate the employee, causing fear and anxiety. Typical big business. No doubt your employer has a QA team because it just wants to cover it's butt, and as a result, it creates a negative vibe within workplace. None of it has anything to do with you, but I understand your frustration.