Monday, January 10, 2005

Hitting the Books

Thursday is fast approaching and with it brings my first day of a new class. This class is called Employment Law. I am looking forward to it much more than I was to the Computers and Information Processing class I just took. (The class that went from "you can use a monitor to view things" to "build a network from scratch for a fictional manufacturing company that operates overseas".) I don't know how I did it, but I managed to pull of a B+ in the last class. I am not normally happy with a B, but I figured this last class was one I'd be okay with getting a C in. I hated it. But it's over and all is good.

My new class excites me a bit. I always liked human resource topics more than operating topics and you do get both with a general management degree.

I started to take an employment law class during my days at the in person campus (Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota), but ended up leaving the school shortly after that class began. The funny thing is that I still have the textbook for that class on my shelf. Tonight, I downloaded the next text and the first page struck me as oddly familiar. I got up, grabbed the book off my shelf, and sure enough, it was the same book, just different editions. So I have a hard copy of the book. Unfortunately, there are some major revisions to the text, but I still can use the hard copy for some of the lessons.

I mentioned before being excited about this class. I am excited. It's going to be a lot more work than the class was though and probably more work than statistics. We are covering 715 pages worth of text in 5 weeks, I know I have a 1,000 word paper due the first week, and there are 5+ journal articles for each week. So I'm going to be listening to music and reading quite a bit.

One thing to be said for working nights, it might put a dent in your social life, but it does make time for doing homework at 2 AM.

There are cases in the text and one of the things we get to do is figure out what the outcome should be. Being a logical thinker, this sounds fascinating to me. I just hope it's fascinating for 5 weeks. I'll keep everyone posted (duh, right?).