Monday, January 24, 2005

What's With All the Secrecy?

The post I've been planning to write is still in development. It is taking more than I thought it would and I have too much schoolwork built up to give it complete justice right now. Oops.

The purpose of this post is to do something I've been meaning to do. I avoid writing my last name here because I am still under the impression that "secrecy is good" in the blogosphere. What am I on?

So, I'm coming out. I've been hiding in the closet, but for a different reason than most associate with "coming out".

My last name is Brooks. Like you couldn't guess that considering my screen name is "Brooksba". You might be asking, "Why are you sharing this?" Here's a list:

1. Good luck finding me. I have one of the top 100 most common last names in America. Although I have written that I live in Mounds View, Minnesota and I went to Fridley High, so I guess I'm not that secretive, but if you really wanted to find me, you'd already have had the materials needed.

2. I have an extremely common and easy to spell last name. You would not believe the odd spellings I've found on letters to me and the vast number of people calling me "Brooke" is funny.

3. I have a few funny stories about my last name I would like to share at some point in the near future.

I also have updated the picture on my profile to give a clearer image of my face. The picture was taken on my 25th birthday up at The Chalet. My hair is nowhere near that color right now (although the red is gone now).

Here's a funny note about the picture. I was searching through the hard drive on my computer for a suitable picture and stumbled across that image. I opened it and got a little bit of a shock. I have cropped the image for the page; however the original has another in the background. The person happens to be looking at the karaoke book sitting on the counter where Bryan does his hosting gig.

Now, the picture is from over a year ago. So imagine my surprise when I notice the boy standing in the picture. It freaked me out, just a bit.

2 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Wandering Coyote thought...

Hi,

You are brave! It's nice to put a name and face to a fellow blogger. I'm still not quite ready to "come out" myself yet, though I have a common last name, too, (my maiden name isn't very common in Canada, though, but it is in the UK). One day I'll take the risk, but not quite yet.

At 4:07 PM, CarpeDM thought...

Yay. I can comment now. Blogger wouldn't let me earlier.

I can't wait for your stories about your last name. I am excited!