Saturday, December 25, 2004

Gift Giving

I officially survived Christmas with my family. To be fair though, I like my parents and my mom's boyfriend, so it wasn't something I didn't think I'd have a problem doing.

This may sound strange to most people out there. My parents got divorced 4 years ago but we still get together for the holidays. My mom's boyfriend, Scott, gets along wonderfully with my dad and the evening just feels natural. My mom buys gifts for my dad and my dad buys gifts for her and Scott. My dad even got presents for the cats and dogs!

It was a DVD Christmas for the family. I got a gift certificate to pick out some movies from my dad, four movies from my mom and Scott, and I gave a bunch of DVDs. I thought my mom was going to cry when she opened up the Mary Poppins movie. We used to watch that movie repeatedly when I was young. It may have been my first time figuring out that I loved penguins.

My dad had a moment when he opened up Scrooged, starring Bill Murray. This is another holiday classic movie our family consistently watched as I grew up.

Besides the movies, I got a couple of cool things. My mom got me some new PJs and a couple of T-shirts. My dad gave me "America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction". That's right, it's the Daily Show with Jon Stewart book. It looks like a high school textbook and what I've flipped through to see is hilarious. It's full of satire and sarcasm.

There is a "Timeline of Democracy" in chapter 1 and I lost it. A couple of snipets:
-May 3, 325 B.C. - Rome built.
-30 A.D. - Death penalty debate heats up after controversial execution of alleged "Son of God."
-1347 - Black Death kills 1 in 3 Europeans. Leech lobby touts 67% success rate.
-1492 - America discovers white people.
-1687 - Using calculus, Newton estimates that 1 man = 1.00423 votes. History proves him startingly accurate.

I do enjoy this book.

My mom also sent me home with goodies. She made caramels (Yum!), Chex Mix (the way I love it - pretty much Rice Chex and pretzel sticks), and Rice Crispie bars. And she sent me home with her chicken salad (Yes!) and gave me some cheese to give to DM. My mom loves to give people cheese. She does work for a dairy producing company.

The best part of the holidays at home? The reading of the annual Christmas letter my dad's cousin sends out each year. This will be a post, in and of itself. It needs to be shared, but I haven't typed it out yet. Believe me, you'll get a kick out of it. I will also post some stuff about my mom and the pets. I have to upload the pictures I took as well. I don't like cats much (I'm just more of a fan of dogs), but that kitten is adorable. Mac was also fun to see today, until he threw up on my boots. That was kind of gross. Okay, more than kind of. It was gross.

Well, I'm just waiting for DM to call me back. We're going to hang out all night, probably scrapbooking and watching movies. I have some new ones to watch!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas day.

2 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, CarpeDM thought...

You know what's weird, that I'm commenting on your Christmas while I'm sitting at your computer. That's just strange.

I am glad you had a great Christmas with your folks and your mom's boyfriend and Taco, Chip, Mac & Smoke. Can't wait until you post the pictures.

I am not watching Two Brothers. You know the previews always made me cry. Do we really want to watch a movie together that I will be sobbing through? Oh, right, you saw Troy with me.

Anyway, I must get back to scrapbooking!

At 12:29 PM, Matt thought...

I must say that the part of the book that you shared was hilarious, especially the part about the alleged "Son of God" and that Newton was able to prove the fact about man and voting, that was excellent. I am glad that you had a good christmas, I hope that it extends to the new year as well. Hope to see you soon, take care and be good.
Big Brother