Monday, December 13, 2004

The Holiday Shopping Season Vant

Due to my sleepless state, I decided busy work would be a good thing to do today. For those wondering, I gave up on sleep completely after 8, that's right 8 hours of tossing and turning. I think I'll just pass out tonight, no matter what. Or I might start to think that minor sniffle and minor cough equals the flu and Nyquil may be involved. Anything to get a good night's sleep! ARGH!

Sorry, I meant this post to be about what I did this afternoon and how I am torn between loving and hating that holiday that seems to suck the brains out of people's heads each and every year.

Before I get into that, here's a question I've always wondered. If Christmas is 1 day and Hanukkah is 8 nights, why do the stores and the advertising companies feel the need to have the "Christmas shopping" season last for TWO months? By that logic, Hanukkah shopping should last 365 days a year. It's utter insanity.

I went to four different places during my errand running today. The first was the Toyota dealership where I purchased my car. I had to sign the title for Foxy. I love my new car (which is still unnamed) but it was sad to sign my name to release the title for Foxy. The clerk told me that Foxy had been sold already. I doubt he was sold to anyone who would drive him off into the sunset another day. I figure he went to a junkyard where he may be picked apart, salvaging any valuable items off of him. Damn scavengers.

That task out of the way, I decided I needed some laundry detergent, food for the pot luck at work tomorrow, and a roll of quarters. I stopped at Super Target for the laundry detergent.

Here's the holiday vant part of this post. I don't care if it is 12 frickin' days to Christmas, put a smile on your face and actually look at the "guests" when they are in your check out lane! I had the WORST Guest Service Representative ever at Super Target today. She never looked up, never said a word to me, and never even said thank you. Maybe I'm just upset because I had to work 2 holiday seasons at Target as a teenager, but come on! You're a representative of the company and they are paying you. At least fake a smile. It's not like I even had that much for you to ring up. I bought 6 items! 6. That's it. If there had been an express lane, I would have used it. I got: laundry detergent, fabric softner, those fabric softner sheets (for the dryer), a car air freshner, a fabric softner ball (holds the liquid in an apartment washing machine), and a case of Coca-Cola. I'm still mad that Target decided as a corporate policy to no longer check signatures on debit or credit card purchases. No, of course it takes an extra 3 seconds and it's okay, let the bank pay for all the fraud you are allowing. Stupid people. And for the person saying, "But they don't check signatures at those 'pay at the pump' gas stations: the average gas purchase, even with the higher prices, will be under $50. I could walk into Target and spend $2,500 in about 4 minutes. Check my signature. I can't believe I've become a Wal-Mart girl.

After Target, I went to the bank to buy a roll of quarters. I haven't actually decided if I'm going to do laundry, but I'm prepared. Why didn't the Girl Scouts have the same motto as the Boy Scouts? Those organizations should share. It should be: "Always Be Prepared to Make New Friends but Keep the Old, One is Silver, the Other Gold." I think I need sleep.

Then I ran to Super America, a gas station. I went to SA because the one near my house also has a Simek's inside. Simek's is a store that sells pre-made food. They have good meatballs and that's what I'm bringing for the pot luck. The meatballs are easy to make, taste good, and I don't have to worry about burning my apartment down with my lack of culinary skills.

Oh, and I'm still going insane. It hasn't even been 24 hours and I can't believe how agonizing this whole thing is. Now that I've had time to sit and think (like 8 hours!), I keep getting more and more worried about what I did last night. He's had time to think about it now and maybe he's decided he's not interested in any way. Or maybe he does have a girlfriend. Or maybe I'm not giving him enough credit and he may actually call me. I am tired. I should try to sleep again. But then my entire sleep schedule is messed up and I know if I sleep now, I won't sleep tonight. Ug! This is horrible!

One of these days, I am going to write a post about a time when Christmas was special and share my favorite holiday memory. It's a little sad, but I love the story. I will share it by the end of the week. I'm going to focus on schoolwork now.

1 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, CarpeDM said...

Have you slept yet?

No matter how crazy it got in the mall, I always made time to smile at people. No matter how much I wanted to stab them in the face with a pen when they were rude.

It's a good thing I don't act on those impulses or I would have been locked up years ago and we never would have met. That would be sad.