Sunday, December 19, 2004

Obligations

It's not my intent to sound mean and spiteful, however, I am dreading the holiday dinner with my grandparents obligation. It's tomorrow afternoon and I just don't know what I can talk to my grandparents about. I got mad at my grandmother on Thanksgiving for making comments about minority groups and I just don't look forward to what she'll say tomorrow. I know, "She's old", but that's not an excuse.

In thinking about the dinner, I remembered a moment from last year and smiled. Is it wrong that I found joy in this?

Christmas gift card for my grandparents: $50

Traditional Christmas dinner with my grandparents at a local restaurant: $35

Seeing the look on Grandma's face when she finds out I was living with a gay man: Priceless

She looked so shocked. I remember the conversation so well:

G: I'm surprised you didn't bring Adam with you. Is everything okay there?
B: Why would I bring Adam to dinner with my grandparents?
G: You do live with him.
(Light goes on in my head, "Oh, she thinks I'm living in wedlock with Adam.")
B: Well, he's busy spending time with his boyfriend's family today.

Long pause.

G: How's school going?

Notice the subject change? I'm glad she didn't let loose on comments. I get a little protective of my little brother, even if he drives me insane sometimes.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, CarpeDM thought...

I love that. That's so funny.

At 9:47 AM, Matt thought...

I remember hearing that story before, and as it did then it has brought a smile to my face and laughter ebbing its way to the surface. That is hysterical, I love it.
Big Brother